Archinect
anchor

Building new stairs

Jjjmsc

My outdoor stoop stairs (concrete) are being rebuilt due to excessive damage (125 year old house).

When I stepped on the rebuilt stairs (scratch cote) for the first time tonight, I noticed they were not quite level. They pitched downward so that when I stepped up, my heel was lower than my toes. Just slightly, but discernible.

Seems the property manager instructed the contractor to "pitch the stairs a bit" so that "rain water would run off and not collect on the stairs."

Help me out here. I am dizzy from all the google searching. Does this make ANY sense? I think NO WAY but want to hear from the experts.

Jun 26, 15 12:46 am
midlander

could it be built? sure. should it? probably not.

If the slope on the tread is that noticeable they almost certainly don't comply with code. If you think it's a real danger for tripping or slipping bring this up with the property manager. Can you post a photo?

If you live in a big apartment that's professionally managed they'll take your concern seriously - falls are a big risk for property owners. If it's a small building or lazy owner you might need to do a little work to check out the local building code and see what it says about stairs - and send him a written letter noting that the new stairs don't comply if that's the case.

Jun 26, 15 1:10 am  · 
 · 
midlander

here is an illustration of what's allowed per the IBC/IRC:

A 2% slope downwards is allowed to make sure rain can drain off. But on a typical tread that would be less than 1/4 inch of slope. If it's noticeable when you walk on it the slope is probably too high. Get a level and check it.

Jun 26, 15 2:34 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Scratch coat stairs? 

Jun 26, 15 7:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: