Archinect
anchor

Can somebody help me with a storefront door question?

Hello Architects! I'm an intern and I've hit a jam that I can't seem to google my way out of.  

I am trying to specify a door for a storefront facade (aluminum framing) that cannot swing into the sidewalk more than 18" out from the property line. I've seen doors that have a pivot hinge that is offset in such a way that it swings outward but shifts inward at the same time (the front doors of the new University Center at The New School in NYC have these).  Therefore the door can be 36" wide, but only swing out maybe 2/3 of this distance.  What is the name of these doors??

Thanks!

Jun 25, 15 5:06 pm
timothysadler®

I know what you're talking about but I've never specified them.  Ask your specs guy to give you the name of whomever is writing your door hardware spec.  They will be able to help you.

Jun 25, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

It's a Pivot Door; most commonly used in residential applications but have used them commercially. The problem with your application is the 18” section of the pivot is what you would push out to exit and that’s the part you would walk through…and ADA is 36”. It would work in a 54” inswing application where you would pull in on the 36” section and the 18” section would pivot out…but in a commercial application doors must swing out. That’s it unless I’m missing something. (Your drawing is not correct).

Jun 25, 15 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
proto

try this as a start - may not be as much dimension as you're looking for

if not, they may be able to point you to another company if they don't offer it

http://ellisonbronze.com/why/reduced-leaf-projection

Jun 25, 15 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Carrera, thank you, but it isn't what you have pictured.. the drawing i uploaded does in fact loosly illustrate what I'm looking for and have seen in person.  The hinging device is much more sophisticated than a single pivot point.  The door is ADA 36" wide and does in fact open to 36" clearance.  Maybe it swings outward a little more than 18", but it does open as i have illustrated.

Jun 25, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Proto, thank you!! Thats it!

Jun 25, 15 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

The link clearly notes it only reduces swing by 1/3.

door could swing in; but I think you'd need to have a max occupancy under 50 to comply

Jun 25, 15 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

PS - Ellison bronze is some expensive assed, shite

Jun 25, 15 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The name of what you're looking for is a "rototranslating door", otherwise known as a pivot-sliding door - it's a combination of a pivot and a track that allow it to recess as in your diagram, without reducing the accessible opening.

Jun 25, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Rixson Pivot  door hinges... They be your bad!

Jun 25, 15 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Offset pivot door.

Jun 9, 20 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: