Archinect
anchor

interior designer/architect questions?

Blocks

I'd like a career in designing spaces and I have a question.

From my research it seems to be that an interior designer and an interior architect are the same profession, and they focus on designing the architecture of internal spaces. Whereas an interior decorator focuses on the furnishings, colour etc.

My main interest is in designing the internal space, so I've been looking at interior design. I have a bachelors in product design, and I live in the UK. Am I likely to break into the industry with my qualifications and a strong portfolio of self-directed interior design projects, or will I need other qualifications?

Any other advice is welcome too.

Jun 25, 15 3:26 pm
Non Sequitur

No such thing as interior architect. It's a marketing term used to raise the sex-appeal of interior designers' "title".

As far as I've seen, you need little qualifications outside of a paying client to design interiors unless you're applying to large corporate office.

Jun 25, 15 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Decorators are like hmm, get-smart-quick online courses and armchair experts. No qualification, no legal right to exist, but can certainly do the work just fine. Like people who run home blogs and buy their own stuff and Pinterest. 

There's really no such thing as an interior architect. They want to sound elevated or distance themselves from the ugly decorator image but it's pointless and since architect is often a protected title, that's a quick way to get sued.

http://biid.org.uk/education-and-careers/interior-architect-or-interior-designer

Interior design is more of a lifestyle business. You plan out what people might want or imagine themselves living as, then set the pieces in motion. Generally no structural changes allowed, like talking out a load bearing wall or something integral to safety but over here at least, a window change or taking down partition wall is ok. The contractor does most of that work anyways.

With your background, you can probably design furniture and objects too on top of space. I'd leverage that. As for the industry, it probably won't matter too much with or without further education. Try a firm, try a showroom, try selling people stuff. Your goal is really to find people with money and spend it stylishly. 

Jun 25, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Blocks

I see. I'm still a bit unclear of the role of an interior designer. Say I was an interior designer at a company that designs restaurants. Would my role also include choosing the furnishings and decor? And what if a restaurant wanted a new spiral staircase and internal balcony area. As an interior designer, would I be involved in that?

Jun 25, 15 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Blocks.

Yes to your first question and no to the second.

You would be tasked with finding appropriate fixtures, accent pillows and wall colours but the real work would be left to others. You could, however, pick the floor tile on the staircase.

Not that stairs or balconies are particularly difficult, it's just not part of an interior designer's typical education and scope of expertise... plus, there are often other factors such as codes or gravity that most int-des pretend do not exist.

Jun 25, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Depends on he job. If you were the designer, you'd probably be speccing and laying out the inside space. There's not much you can structurally change so most of it is like paint or colors or materials or furnishings. You can do a lot in a superficial sort of way. At a firm, you can make custom work like cabinets or fixtures and might do a bit more involved work. It's not that you cannot design a stair (as in think it up) but an issue of liability and legality will prevent you from making it real.

Jun 25, 15 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Blocks

So it sounds like an interior designer and interior decorator are the same thing. And any large changes such as stairs or structural changes are designed by an architect. I was under the impression that an interior designer designed any interior changes, and worked together with an architect/structural engineer to resolve any structural issues.

Jun 25, 15 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I know any number of licensed Architects who have focused their entire careers on the interior spaces of buildings. To suggest that there's "No such thing as interior architect" is, at best, misguided.

Most of the individuals I reference above use the title "Interior Architect" with legitimacy - and, they have earned it.

Jun 25, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

You have it confused. If you're an architect legally, that's not a problem--use the title of doghouse architect for all one cares. If you're not, then the architect part is simply a lie.

Context is important. We're not talking about architects doing interiors here. Most programs are not pumping out architects who focus solely on interiors but rather a designer who thinks they can coin the architect title.

Jun 25, 15 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

No qualification, no legal right to exist, but can certainly do the work just fine

Maybe you should read the law sometime...There is nothing such a "legal right to exist".  Everyone has a legal right to practice anything that is not otherwise regulated...In most states ID is not regulated...Therefore ID's have a legal right to exist...What you are saying is like claiming that you do not have a legal right to be a rock musician...because no law exists that protects the title "rock musician"...That is clearly not how things work...Do they test for common sense on the ARE?

Jun 25, 15 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Are you just dense or like to be pedantic over petty shit? 

Jun 25, 15 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Are you dumb or just a snob that picks on people with Professions that you deem less worthy? 

Jun 25, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Picking on what, decorators? It's not a profession. I have no problems with interior designers and no one with a shred of dignity would call themselves decorators. Try reading past the first paragraph of any post here.

Jun 25, 15 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

according to who?  Just have a really low tolerance for snobbery...

Jun 25, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Why do you think the NCIDQ and the British equivalent BIID exists? Just for show or that some people really do value their profession enough to not let some klutz with a credit card tarnish their whole industry?

Jun 25, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Hold on, Blocks

When it comes to exempt projects (projects that doesn't require an license architect or engineer's stamp), an interior designer with sufficient knowledge in structural design and architecture can design an entire house or other elements because there is no such thing on the legal context of a title. It is just 'person'. So any person may legally design an exempt building as long as they are competent in knowledge and skills to do the work.

When an interior designer goes beyond interior and spatial planning and design, and enter the realm of structural and "exterior" design, they are essentially entering the domain of building design (exempt buildings) and Architecture (non-exempt buildings) - not always by legal rule but by nature of the profession. In which case, you would use the building designer (or residential designer - if the project is residential or alternately 'home designer') if the project doesn't require a license as an architect. You would switch title to reflect the nature of the work beyond 'interior design' - services being offered and performed. 

I'm a building designer. Interior design is only a subset of the scope of services I may offer to a client. 

Of course, each state has its legal nuances and some do protect titles like Certified Interior Designer. 

In my state, there is no interior design license. Interior design is more like a focus concentration that a person chooses to do. Basically we are designers (or unlicensed designers) engaging in a range of scope of services. Sometimes our educational framework and how the education is focused or otherwise concentrated around will help define what you want to do. I think of interior design as a specialization or focal area that some people will niche themselves. If your education is broader like architecture but chose not to pursue architectural licensing, you would use titles such as building designer or residential designer or home designer. The latter two being titles that those who want to focus or otherwise based on legal framework of law focuses on residential projects. I work in residential and light commercial and due to that, the title I use is building designer. I don't focus on interior and due to my knowledge and skill set, I do make decisions regarding structural and the like. 

In any case, be professional. Don't over-extend beyond your area of competence. If you want to extend your experience, take time to study and learn more and/or work under supervision by someone. In my state, if the building is a house, or a farm building or a commercial building that does not require an architect or engineer's stamp, you can choose to become more involved in the structural design. On larger commercial buildings or other non-exempt buildings, there is an exemption that allows me to do things like tenant improvement / interior design as long as none of the following occurs:

Structural alterations

Occupancy Classification change

Construction Type Classification change.

I hope this helps. 

Jun 25, 15 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Why do you think the NCIDQ and the British equivalent BIID exists? Just for show or that some people really do value their profession enough to not let some klutz with a credit card tarnish their whole industry?

If you really think NCIDQ exists to protect the public or to  "not let some klutz with a credit card tarnish their whole industry" then you really know nothing about how the world works...

This bottom feeding organization exists because it lobbied itself into existence for 2 main reasons...

1. Professional monopoly

2. Fees and other goodies they require people to buy.

Jun 25, 15 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

And a licensed architect is different from that how? 

Jun 25, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Same shit, different day.

SSDD

Jun 25, 15 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: