Archinect
anchor

Guidance for an M.Arch Applicant

Hello cyber architecture community, 

Before I get started with where I'm at and how unprepared I am for applying to graduate schools... please be kind! 

I'm a senior at a Jesuit University in the Midwest majoring in corporate communications and human resource management. In high school I was interested in going to architecture school and took AP art classes, was a part of an AIA contest in Indianapolis and spent time at WUSTL architecture summer course. However, I decided not to pursue architecture because of the recession and job security. So here I am - constantly thinking about architecture and completely empowered to take on debt and job instability to study it.

With this being said I don't have much of a portfolio. I have pieces from my architecture course and AP art classes and hundreds of drawings of buildings on scrap pieces of paper. I'm in the process of organizing my work and creating a vision/path for where I want to go.

During my summers I've interned at a not-for-profit that specializes in historic preservation and community outreach (I've worked in the field and in marketing.) The two schools that I'm applying to have an emphasis on classical architecture and I thought adding this was relevant. I've also been able to travel which has shaped and influenced my thoughts about architecture.

After researching universities I've found that my top choices are: University of Colorado, Denver and the University of Notre Dame. 

My questions are:

1. Is it unwise to apply to only two universities? 
  2. I have yet to take the GRE - I'm not the greatest test taker and will probably receive an average score. How much will this affect me?
  3. When I graduate in 2016 my gpa will probably be around 3.45 / 3.5, is this okay?
  4. When I put my portfolio together should I go to a professional print shop? For that matter - what does the admissions office look for in someone with little to no background experience in architecture.
  5. Will it be a drawback that I'm applying right out of undergrad?

I would love to hear honest feedback and advice from M.Arch students and professionals. 

Jun 24, 15 12:19 pm
kickrocks

1. Depends on your odds of getting in. The two you listed aren't highly ranked so it shouldn't be an issue if you have nowhere else you want to be at. I'd throw in a dream school or another one just in case you change your mind on what you want to focus on sometime between apps and decision notification.

2. Might affect your funding potential but generally irrelevant unless you totally bomb it. Average will be, well, average and you can only expect average rewards.

3. There's worse out there.

4. If you know a place, sure. If not, just print it online. It's not like they showcase it forever. There's plenty of topics on unrelated background career switchers already. They know you won't be showing off whole projects but at least if you can conceptualize and demonstrate awareness of scale, depth, space, etc. Stuff that translates into the profession. Ability to draw or present your ideas in some way.

5. No, a lot of people fall back on grad school right out of undergrad.

Jun 24, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

1. maybe - I applied to 5, got into 4.

2. not much

3.yes, if your portfolio shows promise.

4. a) yes. b) Don't try to fake it, show your strengths. 

5. no

Jun 24, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
ALDAVIS

1. apply to 4+ 

2. i had an average score i got into a couple of m. arch programs do not stress 

3. better than my gpa and i got into some programs

4. you should go to a progressional print shop you should use a simple(r) grid layout (if you have little experience or do not know what i mean google it)  and introduce a narrative to your work telling stories is really important for presenting architecturual ideas so this can be a good way to practice, and show your potential.. it has to be carefully crafted.. idk if you do not know much about putting together a portfolio research it look at magazines print material etc. .. 

for m. arch +3 they don't expect you to have experience. so its important that you play up your strengths and interests ..because you will go into school and get trained on drawing, structures, presenting, etc.. but ultimately after your training is done you will be left with only your original strengths and interests that brought you to m. arch in the first place and that is what separates you from other designers...so put in your best work out of your sketches (maybe 5-10 out of the 100s) , best/most complete art/architecture class projects (1-3), and combine that with narrative about your historic preservation/community outreach work ... take these three things and wind them together into a story about yourself and your goals and tailor it to why a particular program is good for you..

remember you have to keep their attention so avoid large blocks of small text, pay attention to the flow from page to page, keep things easy to read, images clear and conscise, guide the reader through as if you are there with them even though you won't be, have fun with it. work hard on it (it took me 4-5 months to finish mine, working on it a couple days a week) and you will be fine dont be afraid to take a risk as long as it doesn't affect simple legibility. 

5. no

Jun 25, 15 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Pat Dimond

Thanks guys and gals! I appreciate your responses! 

Jun 25, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: