Archinect
anchor

The Bartlett vs ETH Zurich

kt90

Hi guys!

I've been accepted to both ETH and Bartlett's programs on Urban Design.Unfortunately I have to choose one and I find it so very difficult.I am doing postgraduate studies to boost my cv and land an awesome job.London seems the place to be for that kind of stuff,but ETH has a certain appeal,because it is super exclusive.So,I can't decide.Anyone who has completed one of these programmes maybe could help me!

Jun 20, 15 7:12 pm
Henri.D

Full disclosure i didn't attend either, but I know and work with folks that attended both.

Perhaps the real question is what do you want out of your education?

The cats I work with who attended ETH are bulletproof in terms of technical resolution and contextual analysis, but sometimes have a hard time thinkng outside the box.

ETH runs the future cities laboratory and gramazio + kohler are doing some pretty bananas stuff with drones and robots so I guess they are broadening their horizons, but generally speaking ETH airs more on the side of pragmatism.

Bartlett really leans more speculative, (from what i have hear), placing more importance on parametric, generative and experimental.

The chick I work with who attended Barlett is a wizard with rhino/grasshopper/python/amira/zbrush/you name it and she has come up with some wacky stuff. But even she admits there are some pretty serious gaps in her knowledge mostly pertaining to construction and  planning.

Long story short, they are both good schools (at the very least in reputation) but as is so often the case, its what you make of it.

Jul 2, 15 10:22 am  · 
 · 
tunglin

Hey, kt90

I've been accepted to both ETH and Bartlett's programs at Urban Design like you do. This is a very difficult decision. I am still try to figure it out too. 

Wish us all the best.

Jul 22, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: