Archinect
anchor

Can not decide: ASU or UIUC?

M.Arch (two years) applicant. International student. got in at a few unis, wish to attend either ASU or UIUC but cant decide where to go to.

The courses offered at ASU (Arizona State University) and UIUC (Uni of Illinois at Urbana Champaign) are fairly similar, with one Arch Des studio per semester with increasing complexity and one of these: Theory of Architecture, Structures, Building Systems, Professional Studies per semester. 

Whats different is that ASU offers varied electives per semester (Graphic design, Interior arch, Sustainability et cetera), whereas UIUC offers one area of focus among: Urbanism, Detail + Fabrication, Heath + Well Being, Building Performance to choose from and one has to stick to electives in that focus area for all four semesters.

Secondly, the winter at Illinois is severe for three months per year v/s the extreme summers in Arizona

Thirdly, I have a close friend at ASU doing the M.Arch. course there who can help me in many ways. I don't have any actual friends at UIUC

The cost of program at UIUC is 30k/ annum v/s 27k/ annum at ASU. Not much of a difference. 

From what I saw on the internet, it looks like ASU is ranked lower than UIUC with UIUC having the edge of being one of the oldest arch schools in the US.

With my head telling me to go to ASU, I have my heart telling me to go to UIUC, since it was always the preferred school. 

I need to decide as soon as possible.

Please help me out guys.

Thanks!

Jun 19, 15 2:54 am
LeOmkr

Can somebody help here? Please?

Jun 19, 15 6:45 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Uiuc

Jun 19, 15 7:20 am  · 
 · 
LeOmkr

reason?

Jun 19, 15 7:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

just because you asked nice and said please i thought i would help

Jun 19, 15 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

ASU

Jun 19, 15 10:37 am  · 
 · 
LeOmkr

@Good_Knight: any specific reason/s?

Jun 19, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

ASU is solid.  You have a connection there.  The actual academic year weather Oct-May is excellent as opposed to the brutal winter in Illinois.

Someone mentioned the rowdiness factor in this thread or your other one, though.  ASU has a reputation for being rowdy.  I would guess Illinois not so much?  Might want to consider your own personality in this regard.

Perhaps the biggest consideration, which I don't think has been raised, is:  where would you prefer to live after graduation?  After graduating you'll have immediate connections either in Arizona or Illinois.  Something to consider.

Jun 19, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Punch84

UIUC has made a few changes since I graduated their MArch program in 2008.  I believe there is no more thesis and they currently have an interim director.  The program has some great electives for digital fabrication if that's your fancy.  Prof. Hemmingway helped with the changes to more digital experimentation by bringing in other professors with his mentality, but the school still prepares you to understand how buildings work and function.  That is their core.

Regarding connections to Chicago...the school is 2 hours South of the city.  There are some great architects in Chicago that went to school there, but I would argue UIC or IIT would give far better connections because of their locations.  Chicago architects do drive in for final design reviews though.

While I was there we did have Kengo Kuma as the visiting professor.  He came in a couple times a semester, judged a 5-week design charrette for a site in Toyko and the winners/runners-up took an independent elective in the spring semester with a week long trip to Japan that included visiting his office and many of his projects...pretty neat experience.  Jeanne Gang was the keynote speaker one year as well.

Disclosure: I know nothing about ASU's program.

Jun 19, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
LeOmkr

Thanks all for all your comments. 

I've finalized on UIUC. :)

Jun 21, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
c.woodward10

Just to clear up a couple of things about UIUC that were mentioned in this thread. (Qualifications because I am a grad student there)

1) There are focus areas but you definitely do not have to stick w/ your focus area. IN FACT, its rather hard to do some sometimes do to some focus areas seeming to only having 1 class some semesters. 

2) The fabrication equipment at the school are pretty fantastic. That is true. Students have pretty easy access to them too. HOWEVER, there are fairly few courses that actually use this equipment. Most professors (in my opinion) are aware of the equipment but do not take much advantage of it or do not really know how to use it. 

This is what I have experienced. Take from it what you will.

Jun 21, 15 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

ASU, is like an old dirty boxing gym with very good training but toilets are broken and smells like mushrooms. 

Jun 22, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: