Archinect
anchor

what is a proper salary for entry level architect? NYC 2015?

brickoncrete

I had this offer from a firm, and they said they are willing to pay me $38000 a year because I have zero experience. 

I get that I have zero experience, but I feel like $38000 is too small even for fresh grads. 

What is a proper salary for entry level architect in New York City??

And how should I negotiate the salary??

Jun 18, 15 9:07 pm
Archinect

You can view actual salaries, as submitted by architects, at the Archinect Salary Poll.

Jun 18, 15 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I knew a guy who made 32k for an entry level in Podunk, Pennsylvania in 2007.

Jun 18, 15 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I just hired someone for $37.5 to count doors

Jun 18, 15 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

just take it.

in nyc, you take what people give you and then you jump ship. rinse and repeat.

i've never heard of a nyc firm with good retention (aside from maybe a few smaller shops, and the starchitects that prey on "someday i will.."'s).

Jun 18, 15 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ yes

quitting in NYC and switching firms is the fastest way to a good salary.

Jun 18, 15 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

any chance that the archinect salary survey will include dates?  It's of little value when it includes results from years ago with no context

Jun 19, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Yeah, that's pretty low, but not unheard of. You have a professional 5 year degree, but while you list a lot of software on archinect, I don't see it in your work on your website.

I wouldn't take 38k in NYC though, I don't know how you live on that with student loans.

Jun 19, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

For 5 years of education - does the Architect degree equate to the lowest value proposition of any other degree? 38k in NYC?! That would equate to like 25k in a midwest city. It went from being in the engineering college to the interior design college - and now on its way to the communications college - the bullshit degree.

Jun 19, 15 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Yeah, I'd expect 45-50k in NYC.

Jun 19, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

38K per year?

I don't know if I should laugh until I cry... or just cry.

Jun 19, 15 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I am really starting to believe that there is a shortage of employers willing to pay a decent wage in architecture, not that there isn't enough qualified individuals with experience.

If architecture firms were really that damn busy they would pay real wages. I think that there are too many over qualified individuals for the positions, and a firm own just goes down the list and see who is will work for nothing.

First thing to making architecture a profession again is having some self respect and growing a back bone. You also have to stop relying on mommie & daddie's money. I feel like there are a lot of kids that come from well off back grounds and think that doing free interning is actually going to get them somewhere.

Jun 19, 15 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

38k in NYC?! That would equate to like 25k in a midwest city.

More like 15k in a Midwest city.  Get the fuck out of NYC...The museums that you wont have time for, and the restaurants that you wont be able to afford, are not worth it.  RUN! 

If another friend who works 80 hours a week to live in a shitty apartment tells me that "there is no place like NY" I am going to punch them in the nuts.  The pizza is great, but not good enough to justify a 4000$ apartment with a roach problem... NY is great if you are rich, but for the majority of us, it is like working as a butler at the playboy mansion after having an amputated penis from a horrible fireworks accident....

Jun 19, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

70k minimum......but since you have no experience and an architecture degree think of it this way, is 38k good for graduating high school?

Jun 19, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

And ++++jla-x for the win!

Nailed it, like nailing your balls to the wall and trying to walk away.

Jun 19, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

My starting salary at a small firm in NYC was $38K, 22 years ago.  The firm even paid for a few continuing ed classes I took at Pratt. Although I'm still in a related field now I knew back then I had to move to a better paying industry.

Jun 19, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

started at 27k and 10 years later at 140k....NYC baby!

Jun 20, 15 1:04 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i'm in my 15th ish year...we do not discuss that anymore....it's good.

Jun 20, 15 1:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: