Archinect
anchor

How to get into urban design? (MLA, March, MUD)

x.carm

Hi all, 

I am an urban planning student who would love to get into the field of urban and environmental design. As I understand that an urban planning degree often lack the design skills needed for the field, I am looking at studying a post graduate course next year. At the moment I am considering a MUD , MLA, MArch. 

I would love to hear your comments in regard to what option would be best. 

Additionally, I heard that the field is saturated with architects and quite often they do a lot of urban design and landscape architecture work. Does this puts MLA at a disadvantage?

Look forward to hearing from you all :)

Jun 18, 15 7:35 pm

Do MUD, you can learn both.

Sep 16, 15 3:14 am  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

I'd say MArch. Once you're done with core studios, take urban design studios. MUD is basically a combination between MArch and MUP, personally a 60/40 mix. You already have a planning background, so why not focus more on what you're lacking unless the title of the degree matters? Landscape architecture is a whole different field my friend. An architecture or urban design program would just lick on its surface. 

Sep 23, 15 3:26 am  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

You cannot become a licensed architect or a licensed landscape architect with a bachelors in planning and a MUD degree. That should be a major consideration, as the vast majority of urban designers are either architects or (increasingly) landscape architects.

Sep 23, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: