Archinect
anchor

Markets hungry for all levels of talent

BackAgain

OK, so we all know about the "architect shortage". But it only seems to apply to project architects and only in select markets. So, does anybody have information on which markets are really desperate for architects? ALL levels of archiects. I ask for myself, of course, but also  for anybody who is willing to relocate.

Jun 17, 15 3:42 pm
Rang

I got a call from a head hunter yesterday about project architect with 7-10 years experience in institutional / educational / hospital work.  Midwest. 

Jun 17, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
BackAgain

Every time I check the job boards on here, LA and NYC dominate as locations that are hiring. Are these markets really that busy? Does anyone else see a lack of intern-level talent?

Sep 7, 15 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Architects are in demand here in Australia, especially the Architects who have state of the art knowledge in the latest trends and technologies. I would say the firms where Architects are in demand are of course, Architectural Firms, Engineering Firms, Construction and Real Estate.

Sep 7, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Few years back I would have an employment add out and would get bombarded with resumes and now I've had the same add for a week and not a single resume. We are struggling with getting help here in the Midwest!

Sep 8, 15 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
Well I've been applying everywhere here in Chicago and I haven't hear back from any architecture firm. I also saw a few firms advertise their salary which was extremely low for the work they were asking
Sep 8, 15 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

lots of work in Detroit area

Sep 8, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I also saw a few firms advertise their salary which was extremely low for the work they were asking

Great profession for people who don't need to eat.

Sep 8, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

So there's a shortage in the Midwest? Theres no amount of money that would get me out there.

Sep 8, 15 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

The sort of stuff I am being asked to bid on is... big.

Existing firms have grown so fast that certain portions of the market are pretty much unserviced.

Sep 8, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
BackAgain

Driko, I feel your pain. I don't want to leave the Chicago, but the market for architects is pathetic. Very few openings. This means I'm going to have to move somewhere else, so I would appreciate suggestions for active job markets.

Sep 8, 15 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I actually just got a job. Dropped out of my M.arch about 3 weeks ago.after I dropped out I applied for two weeks. Got interviews the third week + offers. Took a job at a civil engineering company in Chicago. The pay is just as much as people would expect with a masters degree in architecture.
Sep 8, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Chicago is a pretty bad market.

Sep 11, 15 2:28 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Chicago is bad? I moved from Chicago years back as it really sucked back then...never looked back!

Sep 11, 15 8:48 am  · 
 · 
I wouldn't say Chicago is a bad market. There are signs that it is slowing down a bit - Gensler just laid off 20 or so people for example. But it still seems like demand is there for licensed architects and PA/PM level people. I keep getting poaching emails anyway.
Sep 13, 15 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Somewhat anecdotal, but my firm in Louisville has been looking for experienced folks for a while and we're not the only ones. I hear the same from just about every other office here.

Already this year, we've hired three interns < 3yrs out. While we'll still talk to anyone, we could use someone who's been around a while... 

I hear Indianapolis is having similar issues. Happy to give out some firm names both here and there if anyone wants to drop a note. 

What's wrong with the midwest? Having lived in Virginia, Louisiana, and Minnesota before Louisville, I love this place.  

Sep 13, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Chicago has several schools of architecture feeding the system, and it is home to mega firms that sometimes are not able to hold onto people when projects wrap up and others are not ready to staff up for CD production.

Culturally Chicago is very attractive to young emerging professionals I don't know what people think of the smaller cities as places to live if what you seek is a diverse urban community medium cities can offer that but not as much as often as our biggest cities can. Young folks may be size Queens in regards to where they choose to live.

On the subject of where to look for job prospects I would look at university towns, also Kansas City is home to the worlds leading stadium firms some of them huge operations, they will be doing well for a while.

Sep 14, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just because we’re talking Chicago and I know them, Smith Group JJR has openings at all levels in their Chicago office, terrific building at 35 E. Wacker…you can gaze out the window at the Trump sign all day.

Used to be you could follow the growth, but today everyone’s practice is so far reaching that it’s hard to read, think that there are good opportunities in not so obvious places and I don’t think anybody is "desperate".

Sep 14, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

We just hired somebody and are still looking for 2 to 3 more to fill seats.  Stupid busy here in the middle of Canuckistan.  

Sep 14, 15 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I should clarify - Chicago is fine as a job market. If you want to do innovative or exciting design, design research, or be involved in any contemporary architectural movements, it is abysmal.

Sep 15, 15 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Out of curiosity, how is Philadelphia looking these days? I used to live there years ago, but I wasn't really plugged into the local architectural scene at the time. I know there's been a lot of development in the city since I left, and the job market in general is in a much different place.

Sep 15, 15 10:39 am  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

archanonymous, what about Jeanne Gang? 

Sep 15, 15 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: