Archinect
anchor

Types of writing samples for jobs

chark

Hello Archinect community, 

Im currently in the midst of applying for a research job for an arch firm and they're asking me to submit relevant research or writing samples. The firm hasnt specified what type of research or sample they want, I'm guessing it's just to see your writing style/abilities and not directly related to the research they will want you to conduct (which could be this random fictitious example: how their design affects users and their views on sustainability).

Right now I'm a senior student in design, and we focus more on studio than theory (the few papers i wrote while in this major arent in english & I don't know if I should send them in), but I do have an undergrad in art history from a few years back, which means I could take some old paper from there. My concern is that they're not directly related to architecture or design (topics vary from performance art to the study of light in Orientalism)  so I'm not too sure what to send them... I did take an elective in urban development, should I send that sample in?

Also, I'm not too sure what research even means in this case.. showing them how I develop my topic/ideas? 
Anyone have advice or experience sending in writing samples?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jun 17, 15 1:59 pm
midlander

write them a short email asking what types of samples they are looking for. This would demonstrate your own capacity to perform basic research.

Wit aside, your writings on art history are quite likely good examples of how you frame complex ideas and make logical arguments. I think they would be very suitable as samples.

Jun 17, 15 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: