Archinect
anchor

Computer Science and Architecture

archiwutm8

Xenakis - 

You don't need good programming skills to know to use Dynamo.

It's just logical building blocks that most people can get used to with enough practice.

Jul 3, 15 9:31 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

OP:  at a minimum, you would learn some basic code, which would allow you to pontificate about the power of scripting and parametricism in architecture, 

I strongly doubt one would be able to pontificate about coding and such, at least not within a purely architectural practice. I know of an architect who could not understand the meaning of a percentage ! When one doesn't understand something very well, the usual reaction is to dismiss / ridicule that something.

Jul 3, 15 10:18 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Its a new world out there. Do let idiots like kidrocks blindside you. Do what you feel like doing, there are new opportunities every day.

Jul 3, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@justinritchey17:

What's everyone's opinion on getting a minor in Computer Science with a BS in Architecture? Will this benefit me? I need to fill up my electives and one of my professors suggested this to me, but I'm not sure. I am not the most computer savvy person, so it might benefit me, but I hate math.

If that's a true Computer Science course, then you must have advanced mathematics knowledge. If the course is more geared towards programming, something at the level of writing small routines and scripts for Cad programs, then by all means, it can be passed without having significant math knowledge.

Having said that, just to give a rather basic example, if you go into writing apps involving manipulation of point collections, you need to be familiar with matrix transformations  (linear algebra).

If you want to get some truly educated answers, I suggest browsing Quora, there are questions about studying CS without knowing math, see the link below and read the answers about CS, math and programming (they have a list of related questions which you can also read):

http://www.quora.com/Should-I-pursue-computer-science-if-I-am-bad-at-math

At any rate, a CS course would definitely help with shaping a structured thinking, which is always good to have.

Jul 4, 15 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: