Archinect
anchor

Meeting an Arch Firm Owner?

BR.TN

Here's the position I'm in:

I have a little over a year of experience interning with a mid-sized corporate firm working on high-rise residential projects. I'm looking for a new job and I've arranged an informational interview with the cofounder/owner of a really large corporate architecture firm in NYC, which takes place tomorrow. Essentially, my goal is to speak with them for a bit to help acquaint ourselves and allow me to open myself up to them so that they can learn more about me and hopefully see me in a positive light. Before I leave their office, I'm going to tell them I plan to apply to work for them in September or January and that I look forward to getting back in touch with them when I send my portfolio, resume, and cover letter at a later date. FYI, I'm only 24 and the owner is 72.

1) This firm has a summer intern program. My aim in applying for a position in Sept. is to fill-in-the-gap where other interns left.

2) My goal is to intern for this firm for 6-12 months, and then get hired full-time or something similar (perhaps an extended internship without salary benefits). Ideally, I want to work/intern for this firm until I go to grad school, so that would be maybe 1.5 years from now.

3) I have a 4-year degree in architecture. My degree is from the owner's alma mater - but every intern in their office comes from a Top 10 (or usually Top 5) B.Arch or M.Arch program. Obviously the quality of my porfolio will be the deciding factor in the application, and I DO believe my portfolio can rival theirs, but my resume seems unimpressive. I'm assuming the year of experience I currently have will be one of the main reasons why I would be considered, but it seems likely that most applicants have that level of experience if they're applying to a firm of this magnitude.

Any tips?

Thanks for your input

Jun 16, 15 12:42 pm
( o Y o )

Dress for success: short skirt and push-up bra.

Jun 16, 15 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

My one tip: Don't ever refer to yourself as an intern. In NYC that is just blood in the water. You graduated from architecture school. You're a designer. The fucking end.

Jun 16, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ that

I was just going to say the same.

Jun 16, 15 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

I was going to ask: what do you mean by intern? It sounds like you're already a full-time employee. Why don't you just ask for a job?

Jun 16, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Madigan229

Pretend to be amazed and impressed with the interviewer's past professional achievements, even if it included a dog house he built for his wife. Keep him engaged as long as possible even if he tries to cut it short!

Jun 16, 15 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

midlander, "Why dont you just ask for a job?"

It can't be that easy in NYC when you're competing against Cornell, Columbia, UPenn, Yale, GSD, and MIT grads with their M.Archs, right? Like I mentioned, I only have a 4-year degree. My work is good, and my work ethic is even better...I know I could handle it and I feel qualified but I can't ignore the usual prestige of the resumes I'm competing with.

Can you elaborate on the nonchalantness of how you phrased this? I understand the owner is already piqued in their interest towards me if they're willing to lend their time to see me, and I absolutely do intend to tell them how I plan to apply for a position in the future and that it's the first choice of mine as far as offices go, but I fear how the owner would perceive this in terms of asking in the nonchalant manner that you phrased it. Maybe I'm taking your comment a little too literally - I'm a little nervous with anticipation at the moment.

Jun 16, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Old people like more straight forward people...polite but straight forward...leave the bullshit home and just act like a human being...If you want a job just ask for one...no need to beat around the bush with future emails and other bullshit...Its annoying...especially to older folks...be direct

Jun 16, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

My work is good, and my work ethic is even better

This is an excellent sentiment. You don't need to say this verbatim, but if you give the interviewer this impression you'll often do well. It shows you are confident but self-aware enough to know that doing good work is more important than having good pedigree.

You're overestimating the value of school's names in an employer's eye. The reason schools like that are well regarded is because a large proportion of their graduates are smart, care about design, and have a good work ethic. If you show that you're smart, care about design, and have a good work ethic, you'll be treated as an equal to any of them.

BUT, an informational interview isn't a job interview or internship selection. You really should figure out why you're interested in this firm and ask the owner about his(?) philosophy on architecture and how he accomplished what he's done. Go into this with the assumption a job is possible, but not predicated on anything during the meeting. Spend the meeting trying to learn a bit about the owner and his work. Even if you don't end up working there, you'll know something truly valuable.

If all goes well and you are still interested after, mention you'd love to work there and ask if he could give you the contact for someone in charge of hiring. It's quite likely the owner of a large firm doesn't make hiring decisions himself, and may not even know what the firm's needs are.

Jun 16, 15 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

midlander, excellent reply, thanks for taking the time on that.

Jun 16, 15 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Madigan229

Provide him/her a comfort level by emphasizing what aspects of architecture you are very good at, and if hired, how the company can benefit. This could include your potential contacts in Dubai, for example.

Jun 16, 15 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

^OP, just to re-emphasize, if you asked to set up an informational interview, they are expecting you to come to learn about the firm. It won't be good to try to focus the discussion on you and your capabilities. You may and should be eager to work at this firm, but don't let it dominate the discussion - informational interviews really are just a chance to talk and learn from experienced professionals. Sort of a free mini-education.

If there is mutual interest in considering you for a position, there will be a separate interview to talk about yourself with the appropriate people. Don't be too pushy but do follow up after the discussion and you'll certainly be given an opportunity for this as suits their hiring needs.

Good luck.

Jun 16, 15 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Getting a job is like getting a sale. to get the sale you have to ask for the sale.

Jun 17, 15 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: