Archinect
anchor

Speaking at 7th/8th grade career day tomorrow. Content ideas welcome...

Sam Apoc

Really want to give these kids the true flavor of what it is to be an architect.  Give me your thoughts.

Jun 15, 15 12:12 pm

If you possibly can, BRING A MODEL of a building. Kids especially LOVE models.

Bring drawings on large sheets if you can, too - a CD set for a house is perfect, shows going from big (site plan) to small (cabinetry details). A "before" rendering and "after" photo will be a hit.

Material samples of odd things can be fun - like weird carpet, or an extruded aluminum window section,

If you have a SketchUp flythrough or similar, bring that too.  Ask them how many of them build buildings on Minecraft.

Tell them one of the best things about being an architect is you can listen to music while you work.

Jun 15, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Oops forgot to finish my samples comment: the school likely has VCT floors, so a little box of VCT samples is fun because it allows them to make a connection. I brought VCT samples to 3rd graders and they all begged me to take one home.  Chainsets of Formica also go over well.

Basically look at the stuff around you that you take for granted and imagine you've never seen it before.

Jun 15, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Also a good section drawing that shows all the crap that exists above the lay-in ceiling tile of the classroom is great. It makes them look at the ceiling and wonder what's up there. You could even bring Rem's Biennale image of the lay-in ceiling floating in the historic space.

Jun 15, 15 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

And talk to them about extremes: some days I'm in my clean white office sitting at the computer all day, some days I'm wearing waders and carrying a flashlight through the basement of an old building.

Jun 15, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Also ask them how they would improve their classroom/school if they could.

Sorry for the rambling, I've done a lot of these over the years. 

Jun 15, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I brought the book "Roberto the Insect Architect" but that was for a kindergarten class...

Jun 15, 15 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

Wow those were much more serious answers than I was expecting in this forum

Jun 15, 15 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Tell them about online sources of information (such as this forum) about the realities of the profession.

Jun 15, 15 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sam, I think you should just make room and let Donna handle it  ;o)  

Jun 15, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

ditto to geezertect.

"Kids the AIA is bunk and you'll be indentured servants for the rest of your natural lives to student loans" sums it up pretty well.

If the OP is truly a humanitarian he/she will steer them away.  Far far away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PgbhbkSnbc

Jun 15, 15 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

Ahh now these are the pearls of wisdom I was expecting

Jun 15, 15 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
"Architects are optimists, black wardrobe, grimace, and huge bottle of bourbon to the contrary."

Is that what you were looking for?
Jun 15, 15 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

upvote on the bourbon!

Jun 15, 15 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: