Archinect
anchor

Best country for architects to work

justinritchey17

Hello, I am an undergrad architecture student in Texas, and I have been thinking about practicing architecture in the US or abroad. Now would be a good time to start learning a foreign language if needed. Also debating about where to get my masters because I am currently pursuing a non-professional degree and some countries require a professional degree from their country. I have debated about staying in Texas, or practicing architecture in Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Australia, South Africa, UAE, China, or India. These are supposed to be good countries for architecture, but I am open to other countries. If I go to China, UAE or India, I will go to a grad school in the US, however if I choose Europe I need to get a degree in the EU for their registration. What country has the most opportunities in the future, and is the best for architect jobs and pay? I am also interested in heritage/building conservation and sustainability as my focus and currently I can only speak English, so keep that in mind. Thank you for your time and help.

Jun 14, 15 2:28 pm
midlander

go where you want to live. the basic economics of architecture are the same everywhere, and the business cycle is about 5-10 years between recessions no matter where you work. what seems like a hot emerging economy today may not be in 5 years. the only way all the trouble you go to will be worth it is if you actually love and appreciate the people and places you surround yourself with.

that's it, really. what kind of place do you think you would like to live? go somewhere like that and try it.

Jun 14, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I think I will stay in Texas or at least America. If I want to move later, then I will, but it is easier just to get my license here in the US. 

Jun 16, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

With all the international firms that have offices in Texas, I know of more than a few just in Dallas, you'll have the opportunity to work overseas.  You just need luck, know how to present yourself, and know how to work hard, (in that order) and it'll come to you.

Jun 16, 15 10:37 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

however if I choose Europe I need to get a degree in the EU for their registration.

No you don't.

Jun 16, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Sharonda

China is fluctuating too much to ensure a good position at the moment, possibly as a result of the influx of foreign architects to the country following the Western recession. I would agree with Midlander's argument that everywhere goes through cycles in terms of job availability and potential experience-so just opt for somewhere you will enjoy and prepare to throw yourself into the work-above all-have fun!

Sep 21, 15 6:16 am  · 
 · 

If you wanted career and opportunity then you can go to US, European or Middle East countries like Dubai where the architecture is booming. But honestly I preferred to work in the place where I want to live for the rest of my life. After all, work will be easy if I work and live  in the place I love. 

Sep 22, 15 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

If I recall correctly, Sweden doesn't require an architect license to practice architecture. 

Not all countries in Europe are bound by EU for the registration. It is hard to say. If you work in foreign countries, you may need some sort of work visa. Construction observation site visits might trigger that.

Sep 22, 15 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

San Lorenzo would be my first choice. After that maybe Kyrzbeckistan, although Rohan is extremely beautiful.  

Sep 23, 15 12:04 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

The best place to practice architecture is Ancient Rome.

Sep 23, 15 2:00 am  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins, sounds like Sweden is your next big move.  

+++Miles, Rohan. though the hobbits are masters of woodworking.  the wainscoting inside bilbo's house rivals anything i see built today.  

Sep 23, 15 11:35 am  · 
 · 
aktharsigmå

Hi I'm from India I like to do my internship program in UAE. Is there any language problem for me. Or any other issues which I need to see.

Jul 4, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 
hiker-123

hello im from india.currently in 5th year from mumbai university. iam looking to do my master in urban design from university of sydney and unsw.the problem is with my grades.my grades are not upto 65% and above.they are nearly around 60%scpa.can i get admission.in this university or other good university.i hope will get get any reply soon.

best wishes

Oct 29, 18 1:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's no question for the internet.

Oct 29, 18 4:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: