Archinect
anchor

The Future of Architecture

RTVSkaarchitecture

Architecture is one of the roots of man; along with the natural scientists and biologists, they are life's keepers.
Architecture plays an important role in economy and ecosustaintain.

When high buildings with low area bases are built it frees up terrain to be used for industry or ecology.  The sin of architecture can be seen when above Los Angeles.  I'm talking about sprawl.  The future of architecture is the high rise. 

I'm talking about 100 story residentials; 5 family homes stacked on top of one another with the base-areas of whatever works; stacked mansions; and single family homes with the smallest bases possible.  Shopping centers similar to "Macy's" and "Food4Less" stacked on top of one another (how is this possible?--see below*)   What's wrong with a 5 floor house?   What's wrong with skyscrapers that touch in the sky? Nothing.

*Go to the "Ralphs" on La Brea in West Hollywood- look at the ramp ,for wheelchair accessibility. 

Gigantic ramps for loading and unloading and getting to your shopping outlet with smaller areas still than two. 

As the sun rises over the ocean and you look out from your "house" on the sixtieth floor you will see that the future of man is secure.

Jun 11, 15 5:39 pm
chigurh

slow clap....

I like how the high point of your argument for vertical density pinnacles in a reference to a cart escalator at a fucking Ralph's.

There is an invention called the elevator...maybe you should look that one up if you plan to continue in this field.  

Jun 11, 15 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

What is right with a house that's five stories? Nothing.

As per your argument style, nothing needs to be justified.

Jun 11, 15 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Steve Martin:    "What I Believe."

"I believe in rainbows and puppy dogs and fairy tales.

I believe in family - Mom and Dad and Grandma... and Uncle Tom, who waves his penis.

I believe 8 of the 10 Commandments.

And I believe I made a mistake when I bought a 30-story 1-bedroom apartment."

Jun 11, 15 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Last I check, 90% of homes are designed by building designer/residential designers and design-build contractors. We aren't allowed to design high rises. It isn't a matter of skill or capability as much as a statutory matter. Otherwise, we would be designing more multi-story multi-family dwellings. 

Alot of L.A. sprawl from the 1950s - 1990s and into the 2000s were from about 50 years of post WW-II baby boom driven housing development, GI-Bill funded housing, developers lead tract developments because the land was cheap with a large amount of the tracts were unincorporated county lands of L.A. county which became incorporated cities. Some of them were also annexed city lands annexed by various cities. Licensed Architects were expensive and many of them carried themselves in the Holier than Thou manner of Howard Rourke ( Frank Lloyd Wright -inspired character ) which was too problematic to developers who have financial concerns. Yes, most of the world and the economy that drives and influences all aspects of our living is driven by monetary exchange and financial matters. Architects needs to get a fucking clue about how things operates and what drives thing. Money is the fuel of civilization. No money, no fuel like no fuel in a car.... you ain't going anywhere. 

kickrocks: There is a house for a doctor that is 5 stories but the lower two stories was the doctor's lab and office and the upper three floors was the house. Designed by an Architect. Nothing wrong with it. Now, its like 3-5 small apartment units.

Jun 11, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

What's wrong with skyscrapers that touch the sky? 

They aren't actually ecosustaintaining. There's a point of diminishing returns, height-wise.  Skyscrapers are all about ego.

But, on a positive note, you're off to a good start on a nonsensical pseudo-manifesto.

Jun 11, 15 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Costs would be insane, and no one would use a ramp that goes 100 levels.

Jun 11, 15 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

The solution to sprawl is not 100 story super tall buildings.  The solution to sprawl Is dense urbanism and mixed use, five to six stories.

Jun 12, 15 12:28 am  · 
 · 
midlander

OP, spend some time in east Asia: Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Guangzhou, Beijing. This future-world you're trying to imagine exists, and it's not perfect. Quite banal and smoggy in many cases.

Jun 12, 15 1:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: