Archinect
anchor

AIA docs

gruen

OK, here's a basic question about using AIA docs. 

I know I can do various subscriptions. But honestly, I don't use them that much, it's easier to buy one offs for each use.

However, my choice is paper or a one shot digital document. Every time I use an AIA doc, we have to go through a couple rounds of edits - emailing them around to all the parties involved. This means I need a draft copy which becomes the final, which is then executed. 

Paper does not work, because I can't email it, or edit it very well. The one shot digital does not work either, because I can't do a draft of it. 

Is it OK to use my existing PDF copy - do the drafts and ultimately sign off on it, and then buy a paper copy so that the AIA gets their money? Or will I get in trouble this way? It's easy to buy a paper copy, scan it, edit the PDF, etc. But it seems like the AIA wants you to execute the hard copy / original. What about when we need to leave multiple copies with the owner, contractor, myself (the architect) etc? Do I need to buy multiple paper copies? 

I'm not trying to rip off the AIA but just don't understand how their system is supposed to work in the real world. 

Jun 11, 15 11:28 am
JeromeS

Everybody includes a sample contract in their spec manual, usually with their own supplemental conditions of the contract.  Does every architect, pay for that copy in the spec manual?  Should they pay for it, for every potential bidder? 

Often, it appears that the sample contract has been photocopied about a thousand times and is experiencing some sort of radioactive decay.  That gives you some indication of what our peers think

Jun 11, 15 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I called my AIA chapter and asked this and was told that it was fine to make copies and use them for draft purposes, as long as at least one of each AIA document used was paid for, for each actual contractual relationship.  If I use an AIA contract for each consultant, then I need to have paid for one per consultant.  If I use an AIA Architect-Owner contract, I need to have paid for one of those - regardless of how many draft copies I make to mark up.

However, others have reported that they've asked the same questions of their own AIA chapters and received different interpretations (even that if a contractor purchases 50 copies of the project manual, that the contractor or owner should be paying for the 50 x 5 AIA documents contained in them.)

If you're concerned, call your AIA chapter, document that conversation, and go by the guidance you're given.

Jun 11, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

It's always useful to go directly to the horse's mouth - from the National AIA's "Documents on Demand Plus" website: 

"AIA Documents-on-Demand® Plus lets you purchase access to any one of the 160+ AIA contracts or forms. You may create, edit and print drafts prior to finalizing your document.  Drafts can still be accessed after a final has been generated, however, the document cannot be finalized again (another license is required). Every document is fully editable so you’ll have the flexibility to change the document text to meet your specific requirements. There’s no need to estimate future document usage, simply purchase the documents one at a time, when you need them, and have full access to them for a full year."

Admittedly, the above language applies only to "Documents on Demand Plus" - regular "Documents on Demand" do not accommodate editable drafts prior to finalization. Still, what the OP desires is available, albeit at a somewhat higher cost. 

Jun 11, 15 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

I purchase contracts one at a time from the AIA. Their online editor is a bit glitchy though.

I purchase contracts for each project, but use a final draft [word] of a previous project as a template for each client. I edit the project specifics and fees the next time around, and keep all of the terms and conditions that I previously worked out with the client as is. I do the same for my consultants.

I send the draft to the AIA to be finalized. They send me a pdf of the finalized contract. It's not perfect, but it works for now.

Jun 14, 15 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: