Archinect
anchor

'tiny house' movement

kickrocks

^ You can still be minimal and live in say 700 square feet instead of a slightly larger doghouse. But that's another thing.

How far is it from the nearest town? Are you off the grid? 

Jun 23, 15 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ that is smart.  Its about freedom. 

Jun 23, 15 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we reproduce like a virus.  parasites are symbiotic to a hose.  if they reproduce too much they would kill the host, and the whole evolution thing would work against them.

Jun 23, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Funny thing is people are actually happier when they have less crap. A society based on consumption is by definition miserable.

Jun 23, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

Virus, yea.  Laurie Anderson has a song called "Language Is A Virus (From Outer Space)"; she might has well have changed "language is" to "humans are".  I get a laugh when alien movies always show the evil aliens coming to destroy the earth: fuck, we're already here, look in the mirror.  And don't get me started on the "dangerous animal" movies like Jaws; what a fucking laugh, we're exterminating everything on earth ourselves, we're stone cold killers.  We're eventually going to eliminate every form of life except cats, dogs, and the ones we grow to eat (but rats and roaches will still survive).  Yea, we're great caretakers of the earth alright, just ask the animals themselves.  Right now we're killing 25,000 to 35,000 elephants a year for the ivory; they'll mostly be gone soon enough.  But, hey, we don't need elephants in suburbia, so fuck'em.

Jun 23, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

But Laurie Anderson was damn cute then...

Jun 23, 15 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

Ok, just realized from watching video that it's a William Burroughs quote.

Jun 23, 15 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@kickrocks

I just don’t need more. I grew up in a tiny Soviet public apartment, so I am not used to live in big spaces.

It’s a 12X12 footprint and it is absolutely enough for me and suits my needs as well.

It is about experience how one can build a tinny but very crafty space for himself. The place where I can find myself working and thinking...

"How far is it from the nearest town?"

About 5-6 miles. I would walk there if I need to. It is about 2.5 hourse from NYC.

"Are you off the grid?"

Yes sir. I am.

@jla-x

You are right. Not many.

Not many people realize how great is to be financially free. I have student loans up to my ass and I don’t need any more.

My coworker just got a mortgage for over a million for a suburb house in NJ. I can’t imagine how she can sleep… 

Jun 23, 15 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

A bit of an extreme case, not to be taken as an insult. The size is far more reasonable than the outhouse sheds pictured in here and would be fine for a lot who want to go bare essentials. You know what you need and want.

Do you own the land or what's the situation there?

Jun 23, 15 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@kickrocks

You know what you need and want.

That is correct.

Do you own the land or what's the situation there?

Yes, I have 5 acres.

Jun 23, 15 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
tomstinyhome

hi guys/girls, if you have some time could you check out my YouTube video on my tiny home i have been building in the uk. Im 18 and building the tiny home for my first home. The links here many thanks Tom. Any questions pop a comment on my video.

Nov 9, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: