Archinect
anchor

Employment in the US

thompson's gazelle

Hi all, I've been posting similar threads time to time, but have been getting very little feedback, so might keep it short and try again.

I'm in my late twenties, and want to relocate to a major city in the US after a year or two. Boston and NYC being the most ideal option since I'm most familiar with those areas.

I've had ten years of education in the US, including a B.Arch and an a Masters from well-recognized architecture schools. So language or cultural barriers are not that high I guess. I came back to my home country (East Asia) due to personal issues, and I've been working for about two years in a pretty corporate setting, but not really sure how much of that work experience will count.

Honestly, do I stand a chance of getting hired by a US firm or an organization? I'm even thinking about part-time lecturing or making a detour to a branch of an international office and switching to its US branch after a couple years. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Jun 9, 15 9:20 pm
chigurh

Send out some resumes and see what happens.

If you were educated in the states that is a good start, at least people will know there is some level of proficiency in English and customs.

Don't be a ninny, take action to get what you want.

Jun 10, 15 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

The issue here is that even if they want to hire me, the firm needs to wait for six months until I get the visa. Would any architecture office hire an employee they can't put to work for half a year? I know my work is okay, but it's definitely not super.

Jun 10, 15 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

if you keep looking for excuses for your potential employer not to hire you, you will find them.

figure out what you want to do then do it.

Jun 10, 15 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

Thanks, might as well quit worrying and take action as soon as I quit my current job.

Jun 11, 15 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
bmedi

Getting a working visa in the US is next to impossible right now.  Even if you find a company to sponsor you, you still need to get past the visa lottery.  Good luck!

Jul 29, 15 10:17 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Assuming the firm or the individual gets a reputable immigration attorney your chances are good, particularly for H1 visas(attorney fee $1.5~2.5k); quite a few architectural designers have gotten Os of late as well (NYC summer 2015; attorney fees $4~6k).  Larger firms will start the process once you commit to moving, smaller firms are less excited by it, but can be willing.

Jul 29, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

"H1b" is the modern American euphemism for "slave." Just FYI.

Jul 29, 15 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: