Archinect
anchor

Building a new house identical to my current house

dreamhouse

I'm living in my wife and my dream house. It is perfect in every way, except for the location. I would like to build the exact same house in another state in a few years. I'm wondering how do I go about getting floor plans drawn up for building the new house. Can I hire an architect to re-create blueprints for the house that I am in? What do I tell them? I can request copies of the floor plans from the county who issued the original building permit, but don't believe that an architect can just copy those plans because they're probably copyrighted.

I have not contacted the builder yet but don't believe he will be helpful as he is in the business of building homes not selling blueprints.

Jun 9, 15 12:25 pm
bklyntotfc

Many architect's - myself included - cringe at the idea of putting the same house in a different location.  We'd want to tailor the new house to the new site's topography, climate, views, etc.  But let's set that aside.

Yes, you could have an architect carefully survey and draw up plans for this new house.  But a couple of things to be careful about:

1. If the house is an older one, be careful you don't end up with a poor copy of the original.  Main Street at Disneyland does not really equal the Main Street in a beautiful small town that Disney means to mimic.

2. There may be issues with your old house meeting the current building code that would require changes be made from original to copy.

It may sound crazy, but if you're new location is nearby, I'd research moving the house to the new location.  They do this for historic structures, and you may find that the cost is equivalent (maybe/maybe not) to building a new house.  This would likely avoid the imitation v. original, and code issues.

Jun 9, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

What state are you in?  and where are you going?

Jun 9, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
distant

dreamhouse - provided the contractor who built your current home is not really set up to operate in the location of your new home, he's probably not going to care if you duplicate the house elsewhere -- he'll probably take that desire as a complement. So, what have you got to lose by asking him if he could provide you with a copy of the original plans - free or otherwise?

However, bklyntotfc makes a good point ... while you may love the house in which you now live, that doesn't mean the design of that house is necessarily appropriate for the new location. It may need to be adapted for different conditions (i.e. climate, seismic considerations, materials availability, building codes, etc.) so I would encourage you consult with a qualified architect in your new location before you commit to replicating your existing home there.

A side note: we here ARE in the business of designing houses (and other structures) so we're not likely to encourage you very much to do what you're planning to do. Architects are trained to help you achieve what you are trying to accomplish with better quality and in an economical manner.

Jun 9, 15 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
dreamhouse

[quote]A side note: we here ARE in the business of designing houses (and other structures) so we're not likely to encourage you very much to do what you're planning to do. Architects are trained to help you achieve what you are trying to accomplish with better quality and in an economical manner.[/quote]

I don't really understand this comment....

I'm looking for an architect that is trained in helping me achieve what I am trying to accomplish, and posting here to figure out how to work with an architect before I pick up the phone and make the call. Please don't think I'm being cheap.

However, I already have the floorplan picked out, and the layout of the windows and the roofline and such...is that offensive for me to tell an architect that I have a pretty good idea what I want? I am willing to make necessary changes for building codes, etc, but would like to keep the same floorplan and concept.

I will ask the builder or architect and see if I can figure out how to get a copy of the construction plans, updated for my new state.

Old area: Seattle, Washingotn

New area: Kalispell, Montana

Jun 9, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

dreamhouse, what is your profession?

Jun 9, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

However, I already have the floorplan picked out, and the layout of the windows and the roofline and such...is that offensive for me to tell an architect that I have a pretty good idea what I want? I am willing to make necessary changes for building codes, etc, but would like to keep the same floorplan and concept.

Everyone thinks they know what they want until you expose other possibilities...

Jun 9, 15 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

dreamhouse, the quote from distant implies that we/most architect know that it's more complicated than just replicating. We are trained to design above our client's often innocent ignorance. Site relevance, solar orientation, grading, sight-lines, watershed, etc, are all factors that, if you're able to spend the money, will only increase the quality of your new home.

What would be best is to bring your source documents to a local architect and voice what it is you like about your current house and discuss how those can be implemented in a new site.

Jun 9, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

One point that has not been mentioned yet is the solar orientation. Even though the current house is a very good fit for the user, the same house in a different location might not be able to be oriented the same. It is possible if you have enough land and similar topography and can do it. If not, you might find out that the porch where you love to sit to watch people drive by doesn't face the street anymore, or that the afternoon sun will not shine in the same spot. Some areas that were just right might get too dark or too cold.

Jun 9, 15 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I beat you that point Zbig. I win.

Jun 9, 15 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I would get a copy of "Big Sky Journal Home" magazine that showcases the work of many of the architects in Montana. Use that as a starting point to find firms whose work you like. Montana has much colder climate than Seattle and you will be dealing with snow shedding and ice-dam issues as well as increased heating requirements.  Also, your new house should fit in with the others in the neighborhood and not stand out in some Gehryesque way. Your Seattle house plans may need some tweaking to give you a house adapted to Montana. Remember, the architect works for you and it should be an enjoyable experience for both of you.

Jun 9, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
proto

dreamhouse, you might not need an architect for this job. check with the kalispell building dept about the requirements for this project.

Jun 9, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
proto

dreamhouse

(Please take the following as neutrally as possible. I offer it as perspective into our profession.) Yes, it is offensive to me if you are not interested in anything besides the things you've already picked out. I'd say you don't really need me if it's that resolved. There are draftsmen who can do this.  I got into this profession for the creativity and problem solving, not to follow someone else's drawings blindly. The flexibility you mentioned for codes doesn't ring of flexibility to my ears since the project will be required to follow them whoever you work with [tho i suspect the house, if somewhat current, is already code-compliant as drawn]. Perhaps I'm misreading your intent in such a short form in the OP.

That said, architects are more than willing to work with clients that have strong opinions on the types of spaces they like. Following rote instructions, though, is not something architects like to do. We are not just a provider of "blueprints". Interviewing architects and looking at their portfolios is a great way to figure out who might be the right architect for you.

A local architect can take the things you like about your current residence and match those characteristics up with the chosen site and climate and provide some creative interest and advise on a composed palette of durable and thoughtful materials. A non-local architect can do this too, but will likely have fewer connections to local builders and understand less about sourcing issues or municipal requirements (tho I hear Montana is pretty free of strong jurisdictonal oversight [maybe a local MT arch can pipe in]).

Now, it may be that there are architects out there who are willing to "just draw some blueprints", but that's not really what architects do (despite what many folks think). If that's really what you want, my earnest suggestion is to hire a draftsman, building designer, or structural engineer. Each of these three is capable of getting you where you need to go. And the professional fees will be significantly cheaper.

If you aspire to something more dialed and composed to your own fit and feel, then maybe an architect is the right person to consult. Either way, in the meantime, It may be worth interviewing a few architects local to Kalispell so that you can get direct feedback on your project. This will help you determine whether you need an architect and will also introduce you to the local building market and start to understand what you may be getting into: professional fees, design process, jurisdictional requirements, construction constraints in that locale, etc.

I hope this response doesn't come off as obnoxious, but we encounter these sorts of requests more than we'd like to, and, if you were to search through archinect, you might find a whole bunch of posts where we lament (bitch about) this public view of our profession.

I'm totally jealous you will be building a house in MT. It's a fantastic place! Maybe one day for me...

Good luck with your project!

Jun 9, 15 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

I wish I was in MT just for this project.

The idea of taking a house and essentially translating it to drawings and attempting to recreate it elsewhere is fascinating. I'd probably put a clause requiring that you give me an hour of your time for a post-occupancy survey a year after....

Jun 9, 15 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Also, if an architect takes offense to this, it's probably because he or she has just not thought it through.

Jun 9, 15 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Dreamhouse, the posts on this forum should help tell you why architects are such idiots.

If you had worded your request as "A research study of my current dwelling unit, and its subsequent recreation at a different locate", people would be jumping at the opportunity. Yes, thats how stupid a lot of architects are.

Most of "us" think that we are going to invent the next model of American living, but end up drafting remodels for clients.

I suggest you find a local architect who is thankful to have the opportunity and wont hold you responsible for the state of the professsion.

Jun 9, 15 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

According to The Hamptons Dictionary:

dream house Expression. A term used exclusively by real estate speculators to gain sympathy, favor, reduced construction rates, no-cost extras, etc. from workers and contractors on a construction project that will invariably be sold immediately upon completion. “I love it - it’s my dream house!”  See philandrapist.

Jul 7, 15 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: