Archinect
anchor

Choosing Project for Portfolio

I think it is an issue many have, and recently I have had a great struggle deciding on including projects with very different styles in the same portfolio.

I find it that the better portfolios have had a sequence and a theme, while still demonstrating a great variety of skills. I consider myself a well rounded designer coming from an undergraduate degree that was based on a Gropius curriculum, but then having my hands deeply involved in the world of parametric design currently enrolled at Pratt Institute. (which  many of my projects if not all deal with the transformation of a unit).

I like both styles and I would like to demonstrate that diversity in my portfolio.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any example that would be an honor.

Jun 8, 15 11:36 am
BR.TN

I've been having the same issue...

I came from a very traditional undergrad program where the design eye tends to resemble the work found in schools like Yale and/or Notre Dame, but my interests for grad school are anchored in experimental design and a more avant-gaarde approach to innovation, so I fear that if I apply to graduate programs that center around experimentation (such as Michigan, Sci-Arc, MIT, Princeton, Harvard) I will be at a disadvantage for gaining acceptance with a portfolio that exhibits very reserved project schemes and shows more concern towards the pragmatic approach rather than the phenomenological approach.

All responses to Luis will be helpful for me as well. thank you!

Jun 8, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't understand why people shy away from demonstrating all the work while in school. Employers are often more interested in the odd mix of styles and random sketches than a few polished images. It shows how the student evolved and learned design, not just how closely they can replicate the latest and greatest trend in modelling and or rending.

For what it's worth, the first image is much more appealing than the second.

Jun 8, 15 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: