Archinect
anchor

CV or Resume for Teaching Positions?

tylerstevermer

Hey all,

I'm pursuing architecture studio instructor positions and I'm not sure if I should send strict, academic CVs or a resume?

As I'm an architect, my academic CV looks a little short (not many publications or academic positions) since most of my experience is in practice-related work.  So my resume looks more impressive... but would an architecture department not take this seriously?

Jun 7, 15 8:00 pm

I do think you should tailor your CV to the job you want.  To this end, I have two that I keep current, one for academic positions and one for professional positions.  To be honest, it's just a re-ordering of information, not a subtraction of information.  If you are looking to teach studio and are applying to a program that desires professionals with work experience,  you wouldn't want to limit your professional experience.  But you probably do want to show a commitment to academic teaching by putting what you do have up-front.  If you have a very good cover letter and a good application, you will be taken seriously!

Good luck!

Jun 9, 15 11:38 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I agree with Kayla that tailoring your cv is a good idea, and that in large part this is about formatting much of the same information.

Also, yes, the cover letter is critical --this is where you can close the gaps between what they need and what you've done-- by explaining what you can do and want to do.  If you've had any conversations with faculty or administration about teaching, include that in your narrative.  Go through the department's catalog of courses, ID which of them you could teach, and include that as well.

Jun 9, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you're a career academic, submit a full CV. If you've spent most of your life in practice, submit a resume. Both of them should be accompanied by a portfolio of major works.

Jun 10, 15 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: