Archinect
anchor

Thesis

vandy

hello people....i want to know how do we approach about in chosing our thesis topic....should it be something related to social problems or economic problems....or should it be something to which we can as individuals strongly relate to....should the topic be the need of the society....it confuses me as to what should be the criteria for chosing a good thesis topic....i need your suggesstions people...so please reply with your honest comments....thank you everyone...:)

Jun 7, 15 12:38 pm
anonitect

Do you have a thesis advisor? Trusted professor? Are the theses from last year grads archived somewhere? Don't start on your project on archinect - you'll just get smarmy comments about how lazy and clueless you are for not doing research before posting a half-assed thread on a discussion forum.

Jun 7, 15 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Deservingly so.

Jun 7, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

It needs to be something you are passionate about. Otherwise it will just be a huge pain.

Jun 7, 15 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Actually - this is the kind of thesis question that should be posted here. He doesn't want the interwebz to figure out his topic for him, but rather wants to know the process of how one goes about choosing a course of study that is often deeply personal and must keep the designers interest for 8-12 months. I wish I had heard more about this before starting my thesis.

Unfortunately I don't really have much help in terms of this. My own direction was into very uncharted territory. I think the biggest thing is to do something that you genuinely feel should happen, or be explored - not pursuing something because it seems like a lot of thesis are going that direction (for instance off the top of my head, I see a lot of people whose thesis seems to default to some type of urban farming because, with very similar results).

Jun 7, 15 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

suggested thesis topics

Jun 7, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

Keep in mind that a thesis is meant to contribute the body of knowledge in the field. It's not about your passion or some fleeting interest, it's about what you have to offer the world of design. 

Jun 7, 15 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
What rationalist said. Or as my thesis advisor Dan Hoffman said: how does your work further the discipline?
Jun 7, 15 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Don’t make your thesis about architecture, that won’t be novel enough.

Remember, this will be your life’s work, don’t screw it up!

Jun 8, 15 1:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: