Archinect
anchor

How much coffee do you average?

austen

I was just sipping on a white mocha, being a slight coffee addict, and wondered how much coffee does everyone else drink on average? Per day, Per hour, Per minute whatever you want - i'm curious! 

First of year of school tells me more than the average person for sure but I know a lot of people are into energy drinks too, which I wouldnt recommend anyone drink, so lets hear it!

Jun 6, 15 4:51 pm
midlander

once or twice a week, black or espresso. i don't like it so much except as something to sip while im people watching.

Jun 6, 15 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

I sometimes have one out of obligation or conforming to social norms but generally, zero ounces each month.

Jun 6, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

16-20 cups per day.  no joke

Jun 6, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

black home brewed.  nothing fancy

Jun 6, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
austen

Jia-x: Those are the numbers I was thinking of hahaha. I'm trying to not develop a habitat of drinking coffee but I do get stuff done when I do

Jun 6, 15 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Two per day, always fresh ground. A coffee in the morning, a cappuccino (sometimes a double) in the afternoon.

The best roaster around is a short walk from my studio, I can smell when they are roasting.

Jun 6, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

2 pots per day while in grad school (10-cup size)... I quit energy-drinks after 2 semesters in undergrad, they do nothing anyways and hold a fraction of the caffeine of a regular coffee.

Now, many years later, perhaps 4 cups during the work day. Black, always black... sometimes even cold. Delicious. If I am working at home, then I'll grind the beans fresh and use a french press.

Jun 6, 15 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm probably in the neighborhood of 4-5 cups per day.  i stopped drinking coffee after noon, and stop caffeine after a coke with lunch, in the hopes of sleeping better.  doesn't seem to make a difference though.

i start with ground coffee at home, then work coffee at work.  i don't know what i would do without the grind-and-brew on a timer.  how do you make coffee if you haven't had your coffee yet?

Jun 6, 15 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

one cup:  black pour-over in the morning, good quality.  

one afternoon black tea with sugar and milk, always British

Jun 6, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

NO coffee EVER, i don't even know what happens in a Starbucks, every time I walk in there to meet someone I notice they sell nothing that I would be interested in...

Monday - nothing in the morning, Honest Tea Green Tea with Honey by lunch - solid caffeine, dinner perhaps another Tea of Mountain Dew

Tuesday thru Thursday- Tea in the morning, Mountain  Dew by lunch, perhaps a Red Bull by dinner if 15 hour days

Friday - Red bull in the morning, Red bull for lunch, Red bull for food coma time around 2-3pm, then beer for dinner.

Try to do Zero caffeine on weekends.

Coffee still sucks, not sure why anyone would drink, but millions do, and coffee breath is scary bad.

Jun 7, 15 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I dislike the energy drinks/sodas, although I really appreciate the kinds of events that Red Bull puts on and the fringes of what we consider 'sport' that they are pushing.

I adore my coffee, although Ive been trying to cut back to 2-3 cups a day.

I like a hearty coffee, very strong, usually french press (double-steeped) or stovetop espresso, black or with a very small bit of milk if its particularly acidic. I'll bring a thermos of that home-brewed into work for a morning kick, take a black earthy chai tea before lunch, a dark roast in the afternoon and possibly a light green tea before quitting time. Some excellent smaller roasteries seem to be popping up everywhere in these parts - but my favourite for a long time has been Kicking Horse Coffee from the west coast of Canada. Much rarer, but equally exquisite is the Midnight Sun Roastery in the Canadian high north (Yukon).

Jun 7, 15 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Two large cups per day, one right after my shower, one on the way to work that I sip on (even cold) all morning. Maybe once a month or so I have a latte or iced coffee in the afternoon.

Seriously, three liquids make up about 90% of my liquid intake: coffee, water, bourbon. I rarely drink anything else, sometimes wine.

When I was younger a I drank about five cups per day, plus espresso after dinner.
Jun 7, 15 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I start out with a double espresso at Peet's right after I emerge from Bart, I drink tea all day after that and 1 glass of Merlot after that. One office I worked at, served Peets coffee - it kept us up until 10pm - too wired to go home - besides the PAs would drop off a whole set of red-lines on our tables at 5:30 - due the following day. 

Jun 7, 15 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Donna, me too....coffee, water, and beer is all I ever drink...sometimes unsweetened ice tea

Jun 7, 15 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
austen

Mine depends on if I'm in school or not. When I'm in it's about 3-4 coffees a week and water for everything else. I'm still a coffee baby it seems though, I take mine light and yes, haha, I like Starbuck's white chocolate mochas.

I've never even tried, nor do I want to, Monster/5hour energy/redbull. Judging by the nutrition labels I think those are probably one of the origins of cancer...

Jun 7, 15 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Cup of crappy homebrew before work, shot of espresso mid-morning, another shot of espresso mid-afternoon.

Always black and boiling hot - if it doesn't burn my mouth, I can't drink it.

Jun 7, 15 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Iced Americano light no sweetener in the morning. 3-4 cups of hot spiced chai during work. Then an Iced Miel before workout/jiu jitsu. Honestly, I could mainline coffee and still sleep like the dead.
Jun 7, 15 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

One home-made caffe latte in the AM with custom roasted beans, and one drip coffee later in the day, also with custom roasted beans. Yes I am a coffee snob.

But i supplement this routine with at least 3-4 cups of green tea in the day just to calm the nerves.

Jun 7, 15 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

austen you seem the most healthy with regard yo caffeine dependency.........everything gives you cancer, but my guess coffee probably not as much for most people..................i once went 6 months no caffeine, at first i would actually pass out at 9 or 10pm and wake at 7am and then after a few months was back to normal but would often fall asleep after lunch ( food coma). after that 6 months i went bacl to 3 or 4 cans of dr pepper, the first month i slept an average of 5 hours a night........in short what i have learned is to drop caffeine on weekends my body adjusts and correcta the sleep deprivation caused by caffeine.........not sure any athletes here or back in the day, but in high school was on this heavy Amino Acid (GNC) stuff during track season, after one month i noted i went from being one of the fastest to average and my only guess was the Amino Acid supplements were hiding or causing me not to notice my actual fatigue......i highly recommend caffeine addicts (coffee everyday) to try none at all...........tea seems to be a solid caffeine, not over the top as no sugar so good when you are not tired, but if you have mountain dew or red bull when you are not actually tired you might as well check yourself in somewhere and count on not actually focusing on anything....balance

Jun 7, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
When I was pregnant I quit entirely, and it was easy. My body just didn't want it. My non-coffee drinking husband congratulated me on kicking the caffeine habit and my response was "The day this child is weened I'm drinking a triple espresso." Why would I *want* to stop coffee?! It's one of life's greatest pleasures.
Jun 7, 15 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

1 pot in the morning before I can leave the house or drive, a 12 ounce maintenance dose in the afternoon.

Jun 7, 15 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

2-3 cups on weekdays, w/cream and a little sugar, from my office's machine mostly. I probably spend an average of 0$ a week on it.

I don't strictly limit caffeine on weekends, but I almost never drink coffee.

In school it was probably 2-3 times that much.

Jun 7, 15 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

donna, was it because you were pregnant or in general your body just didn't need coffee? pretty sure my wife had no coffee both pregnacies and a slew of strange requests....like orange tic tacs - 1130pm orange tic tac runs to 7-11.....so is it the coffee or the caffeine that is one of lifes greatest pleasures? i get it drugs have all types of effects on people but appears caffeine and alcohol are socially cool.....i guess pot in some places is getting there.......there is a trade school in manahattan when i used to walk by after teaching at a university - during lunch break, it was just groups of future welders rounding the block sharing blunts,clouds of smoke.........wondering how much coffee,if any, pot smokers consume?

Jun 8, 15 7:00 am  · 
 · 

Chris when I was pregnant my body truly didn't want any of the things you're not supposed to imbibe when pregnant. I craved fat - full fat yogurt, ice cream, whole milk - but no crazy cravings like tictacs.

It's the coffee AND the rush of caffeine that is the pleasure; one without the other is meaningless. 

I can only speak for myself but if I still smoked pot I would HAVE to drink lots of coffee, unless my job was to sit on my couch watching Beavis and Butthead.

Jun 8, 15 8:56 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

one real capuccino every morning, italian moka pot; sometimes an espresso after dinner. Never understood why the sock water they sell in starbucks is called coffee.

Jun 8, 15 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I visited my local (15 shops) coffee chain's bean roastisserie (is that a real word?) over the weekend. Really neat re-use of a dilapidated old carriage house. The processing equipment complete with all the delicious smells and noise was right next to the sitting area. I could sit there all day watching batch after batch of green beans get all toasty and delicious.

On a side note, the employees hang their bikes along one interior wall next to the roasting machinery making their bikes part of the decor.

I second the starbuck sock water comment above.

Jun 8, 15 10:31 am  · 
 · 

2-3 cups a day. Always fresh ground and black - at home we make french press, at work we have a grind/brew. I drink tea and water after lunch in general but if it's a particularly cloudy or slow day I'll take a double americano in the afternoon to perk up.

Thinking about trying this service:

http://www.parachutecoffee.com/

More importantly: what snacks do you have with your afternoon coffee? I prefer these australian biscuits:

http://www.arnotts.com.au/products/tim-tam/

Jun 8, 15 11:19 am  · 
 · 
proto

2 large black teas every day

Jun 8, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The epitome of hipsterism?

I don't care. If this was place was closer to my house, I'd move my office into this space, and drink all day long.

Jun 8, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

1-2 cups a day only for medicinal purposes.  If I can, an apple, fish, or a cantaloupe will do the trick. 

Jun 8, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

The way Teeter(r) writes you'd think he had espresso on intravenous.

Jun 8, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

snacks....I like those little italian bisquits with the sesame seeds...or anything with almond and anisette...Sometimes throw a shot of anisette in my coffee too if im feeling too high strung...

Jun 8, 15 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

or chocolate covered espresso beans if im really tired. 

Jun 8, 15 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I get my beans from this guy:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-trystero-coffee-atwater-village-20150305-story.html

As "nano" and awesome as it gets...

Jun 8, 15 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Donna thats what I would figure and as Miles points out - never was a pot guy....one time in Amsterdam my friend and I got real tired of the coffee pot shops real fast and went and found a pub full of English football fans raging drink singing.....and Teeter(r) filing going through (nj state checks your sign and seal within 6 months, or at least the municipality is supposed to inform state....)......mountain de time.....coffee drinkers!

Jun 8, 15 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I get the good medical stuff...I love weed...lol

Jun 8, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

^yes.  The colors are beautiful!  Plus, who doesn't like thinking about world peace :)

Jun 9, 15 8:26 am  · 
 · 

^ In my fogged pre-coffee state this morning I read that as referring to Schumacher's blog post. 

Jun 9, 15 8:49 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

not enough....chop cop kick....left left B

Jun 9, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

First name's Mister

Last name's Coffee

I pity the fool who use decaf

One half pot per day whole if it is a 15 hour or more day

Peter N

Jun 10, 15 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

typical workday:

7:00 am stovetop espresso w/ breakfast

8:30 am macchiato on the way to work

8:45 am cup of drip at work

10:00 am cup of drip at work

12:30 pm macchiato after lunch

1:00 pm iced drip at work

3:00 pm iced drip at work

that seems like a lot.

Jun 11, 15 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

16 oz. Wawa Columbian in the morning, two raw sugar and a 1/2" of half&half

32 oz Coke Zero at lunch

Kind of in the Teeter camp on this.  I've only added the coffee in the past year, in order to reduce my soda consumption...

Jun 11, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: