Archinect
anchor

Requesting advice on university decision

Salvr

Hi all, 

I recently received acceptance offers from TU Delft (Msc architecture) and AA (year 3 entry). How does an education at these institutions compare from an academic and professional standpoint? Is the education at delft merely technical or does it involve the speculative/experimentative approach at AA (I believe it's not so black and white, because looking at the cv's of the faculty staff, I saw that a good number of the faculty at Delft had either taught in or graduated from the AA and vice versa)? Please share any other experiences/information to help me make an informed decision.

Jun 5, 15 10:55 pm
dsze

Hi Salvr,

As I have suggested from other threads, I strongly suggest you change profession. There are way too many architects intern out there and it is actually waste of time to do any architectural education in US/ UK.

However, if your family background is very rich and actually do not need to work at all for your own living. Delft is good but it's a huge school I have heard. AA is good but it's all digital.

Personally, if you really want to learn architecture, (it is an extremely important discipline actually) I would suggest you to go to school with tutor that have built works and teach you how to design building and detailing skills (basically good architect, there're only very few exist actually) In UK, there are actually couple of very good architects, eg. Jamie Forbert teaching at RCA, Sergison Bates, Caruso St John's. However, most of the best young British architects want to do building in Germanic countries (Germany, Switzerland) because the institutions, clients and contractors care about quality. Sadly, UK is more and more like US... producing crap buildings, even I graduated from Ivy Leagues school I felt ashamed of this fact and wanted to sell my degree.... :(...................

AA and Delft are experimental producing fancy images but shitty buildings..

Jun 8, 15 3:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: