Archinect
anchor

What am I supposed to do with this little card that comes with my Architectural Registration

When i registered for my architectural license they sent me this little identification card that is the size of business card.  What do you use this for?  Can I get out of trouble with it?  Can I get an upgraded set on a plane?  Or is it used for emergency purposes?  Give me some examples of what you think or have used this little Registered Architect License card for.

Thanks,

WW

Jun 2, 15 4:22 pm
curtkram

grats on registration

you can put the card in a frame or stick it on the refrigerator with a magnet.

you can put it in a desk drawer and reference it for your license number should the need to reference your license number ever come up.

you can roll it up and use it as a straw.  (not that kind of straw)

you can put it in your wallet

you can show it off to girls you meet at the bar or a cocktail parties.

Jun 2, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Have fun with it!

Jun 2, 15 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

get out of jail free card.

Jun 2, 15 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Calculate by area in square inches how much that card cost you and post the results here.

Please.

Jun 2, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

also, verify the proportion between the length and width.

Jun 2, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's not the card, it's the title you're now able to use without looking over your shoulder...

Jun 2, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Does the card include "NCARB" after your name?

I'm sorry- I'm such a dick.  Congrats on your license...

Jun 2, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

After many interviews I have found a few solid ways that this little card is used:

1.  Emergency situations

a)  After an earthquake or natural disaster when emergency responders need to know if they should enter a partially destroyed structure.  They  might ask for an engineer or architect.  (Hopefully my engineer is there to.)

b)  Your at a cocktail party and everyone decides to get on the roof of a structure.  You will have to pull your card out and tell everyone that they are exceeding the design loads of the structure.

c)  You meet a potential client and they can't use the internet and want proof that you are an architect.  You whip it out.

d)  The bicycle spoke card was a great suggestion Donna.  Keeping people informed that you are a registered practicing architect through sound transmission is brilliant.

e)  Miles I would like to do a cost per square foot calculation or a cost per pound calculation....okay here we go...

Card = roughly 0.0547 ssqft

$100k/(.0547 sqft) = 1,825,154/ sqft 

or

1 piece of paper weighs roughly 4.5 grams

The document is roughly 8% of the entire sheet therefore weights roughly 0.36 grams

Therefore it's worth $277,777/gram

(but would it be the brain + the card???+ the one arm)

Just for comparison some of the most valuable items per weight.

Do you think the NCARB behind my name is too much?

Jun 5, 15 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the brain is the brain, the card the card, i think they're calculated different

b)  Your at a cocktail party and everyone decides to get on the roof of a structure.  You will have to pull your card out and tell everyone that they are exceeding the design loads of the structure.

you're not going to make friends as a killjoy.  you should tell them the roof is safe.  what's the worst that could happen?  (if that does happen, blame the guy with the engineer card)

Jun 5, 15 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Do you think the NCARB behind my name is too much?

Its been discussed in various threads;  doctors don't say AMA or USMLE.  Just use the title ARCHITECT.  I prefer all caps for the self-aggrandizement...

Jun 5, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Willard, thanks got sharing those calcs. It's important to keep things in proper perspective.

Jun 5, 15 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: