Archinect
anchor

Create your own summer job?

Zach Tyler

I am studying Interior Design in Scottsdale,AZ and I have looked for an internship for this summer and nobody will allow me to work for them. I am transferring to Woodbury University in the fall to study Interior Architecture so I can only work for this summer. My question is, is there anything I can do this summer if an internship doesn't work out? Aside from just working at a restaurant or retail. I want to do something that will enrich my studies and do something meaningful this summer. Summer school is off the table as well because I cannot take any classes that would help me. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you.

Jun 1, 15 9:04 pm
archanonymous

Do a competition or an AA Visiting School somewhere.

Jun 1, 15 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Troll archinect.

Jun 1, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Zach Tyler

I just finished my sophomore year, but first year of really being in ID and Arch. classes. I know CAD and SketchUp but I don;t know if I know enough to offer my skills in a freelance sort of situation, even for no money. Thanks for the replies so far! Keep it up! 

Jun 1, 15 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Even if you can't take any helpful classes over the summer, there's always a wealth of knowledge on the internet. Some universities have course materials posted online that you can access for free, and software tutorials for Revit and the like are everywhere. Summer's a great time to improve your skills at your own pace, but don't forget to enjoy yourself! I go to a school with year-round classes, and it's taking its toll... but hey, only two more weeks until my 1-week break!

Jun 1, 15 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You could work for a contractor to get on site experience, even if it is just cleaning up the job site or something.

Jun 2, 15 9:00 am  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Habitat for humanity, go on their website, it will list days and locations and just go for a day a week or more if you would like, I learned more in a few weeks there than I did in months at my first "real" job.

Jun 2, 15 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: