Archinect
anchor

Idea for graduation project about governmental buildings...

Beshoy Adel

Hello, my senior year is the next year, I have to start working on the project from now. I don't want to do an ordinary project (museum or exhibition), I've always loved to read and know about high security buildings, high tech and so, so I thought of doing a project about a high security prison, some governmental buildings (like what?) a healthcare building and a military museum.

Is that a good idea for a graduation project? is there a thing like that in real life? what buildings/elements should I add or remove from the above, I want a project to have a focus on circulation and efficiency and a minimum time to evacuate or secure and so on, and a focus on high technology, sustainability and urban design... I also want to know the title of the above project if there's a thing like that and I need resources about such a thing (the high security prison and the governmental buildings), thanks a lot in advance.

Jun 1, 15 1:50 pm
Beshoy Adel

I'm sorry if my ideas aren't organized, but I need to start researching for and working on the project asap, thanks.

Jun 1, 15 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you're planning on designing a building that is

a) a prison

b) a healthcare facility

c) a museum

and d) some other buildings

isn't that a bit too much for a single building?  i suppose if you're looking for a precedent, there are military bases across the world that include many different buildings housing many different functions.  i would add commissary, interdenominational faith-based chapels of some sort, USO, and lots of offices for the bureaucrats.

is this just to master-plan the facility, with a focus on secure access/transportation and such, or are you actually going to design all of these buildings in one year?  one avenue to take would be to try to design a rapid-deploy military base with all the modern conveniences the soldiers are used to, so the facility can quickly be built wherever a resource needs protecting.  perhaps it can be a facility used not just by americans, but also the chinese, russians and any other government that might be interested in that sort of land-grab.

otherwise, design a foreign embassy.  that could be a fun project, and much simpler than what it sounds like you're proposing.

Jun 1, 15 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

sounds like a good idea for a project of your professor is Albert Speer. 

Jun 1, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

First of all thanks curtkram, not a single building, a complex, a piece of land that has those building under one name, a military base for example as you stated is made of many buildings and not one, that's what I meant, will a military base will be hard to find resources for right? but a foreign embassy I think is a very small scale project for a graduation project, I think they want a complex-like facility with lots of buildings, an embassies complex? what do you think, and if so, will it only contain embassies or other buildings should be included too? I think they need a large scale project, thanks :)

Jun 1, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

Well, lol jla-x, I love militaristic architecture, not Nazi architecture, he designed some good buildings though :D

Jun 1, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

first of all, i would say a single building should be more than enough to keep you busy for a year if you're in architecture.  if you're doing urban design or something like that, then a campus might be appropriate.

second, i would not put an embassy in a military base.  as far as i know, many cities have kind of an embassy row, where a few different embassies are located in a similar place, but each one would be designed by the country it represents, so i don't think there would be a project to design multiple embassies.

Jun 1, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

well, I think our professors are damn nazis who want to keep us more than busy they want us down :D, I think that a single building will not be enough for them, but let me ask someone who graduated, but if I'm adding buildings to an embassy which buildings do you think will be good to go with the embassy? thanks for the advice anyway :) 

Jun 1, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

here's what the US embassy in hamburg looks like for a start

https://www.google.com/maps/search/@53.5623873,9.9967156,341m/data=!3m1!1e3!6m1!1e1

Jun 1, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

Thanks a lot :)

Jun 1, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

How about a school for the deaf or blind... It's a way more nuanced problem than finding the latest specifications for hardening a campus.

Jun 1, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Military bases will be really difficult to find info on...Take a look at the Federal Building in SF by Morphosis...It was built during the really paranoid few years post 9-11 and is basically designed to withstand all sorts of attacks...Kinda cool topic actually...I was always interested in these high security buildings too....mostly because I am naturally drawn to places that I am not allowed...lol...Area 51 would be cool...Realistically though, How about an airport?  There are all sorts of security concerns involved, and there are plenty of good case studies to look at...

Jun 1, 15 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: