Archinect
anchor

Can you offer any 1st architectural job interview tips for me ?

ALDAVIS

So I am currently in the m. Arch 3 program at USC I just finished my first year and I have set out to find a job where I can practice and develop my skills over the summer. I put together a portfolio  with one house that I designed with a partner and a couple of more abstract projects that show my interests.  I listed that I use autocad rhino  and sketch up with adobe suite as far as  computer skills go. I included no renderings because I don't have any or much experience with them .. 

i applied for a job as a "freelance autocad  artist" to draw plans for special events . The ad says it requires 3dsmax autocad including adobe and ms office and small scale 3-D renderings among other things. I got a response and I go to interview tomorrow afternoon.. I am wondering what I should say when they ask if I use 3dsmax ? It doesn't say anywhere in my portfolio or application that I am familiar with 3dsmax..also how do I respond when asked about experience with rendering ?  Any other tips or advice ?  Should I say I can do anything even if I don't have that experience yet ? Also for the partner project should I say I was with a partner or alone ?  .. Whats the best way to approach this ? 

Thanks for any response 

May 31, 15 8:25 pm
Jackfrost19

AL,

If it was me I'd tell the truth. I don't know how hard it is to learn 3Dmax on the fly, but if the project has a deadline( like "events") and you cant get the work done, that will be a disaster.That's assuming the person interviewing you cant tell whether or not you know it. which does happen more then you would think. and you don't, or shouldn't, want to work for someone like that.

If they're decent professionals, then they'll know everything about you in 2 minutes, and if they want to work with you, and the have the option to wait a few weeks while you catch on to 3dmax, they'll hire you anyways.

Try and talk about everything except for the 3dmax until the end, give yourself a chance to realize if you want to work with them. If the interview goes well and you really want to work for them, tell them you'll work 24/ 7 (at no extra cost) until your up to speed.

there's not a lot of honesty out there, they'll be impressed. my office just laid off a person who said they knew CAD and Revit, but did not. If that person would had shown that they were willing to work hard, meaning past 5:00, they would of had 3 senior people mentoring them, instead they went back to work for caltrans. explains a lot. 

Listen to what they say, respond to what they say. Senior people want to know that your someone who listens and understands, or speaks up when they don't. we dont have time for games. also if they believe your committed to the getting the job done, that goes along way.

It doesnt sound like your what they need at this time. but its an interview, don't waste it. Make sure you leave that interveiw with your head up with no regrets. Chances are you'll be seeing them again during your career, its a small world out there. plus they might pass your name to someone else that doesn't need 3dmax and rendering. Its an interview, get the most out of it you can, engage them in conversation, but be respectful of their time if it's obvious they're not going to hire you. 

good luck

Jun 1, 15 3:46 am  · 
 · 

Wear a short, tight dress. 

Jun 1, 15 6:36 am  · 
 · 

Miles,

Seriously.... you boldly say that? Are you an employer?

If so... tsk tsk.

Jun 1, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Someone actually didn't get a job at a firm I worked at because they dressed inappropriately for an interview... So you know, might work, might backfire. They had a pretty good portfolio too...

Jun 1, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Do your background research, be honest (lying and stretching truths will give you a bad rep all around and it is a relatively small professional circle), enthusiastic, and articulate.

Make sure to learn names, including the receptionist (if they have one); and send then a handwritten thank you within a few days afterwards.

If you're lucky and they like you and are kind, they'll pass you on to one of their friends if you aren't the perfect fit. As Jackfrost19 mentions, it's a small world - you'll want to keep them in your network.

Jun 1, 15 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

AL,

The number one rule in an interview is to be honest. Do not exaggerate your software experience. I have seen this backfire when the employee comes in day one and it turns out they obviouly do not know how to use a certain program. Starting off on the wrong foot is exactly what you should avoid with a new job.  Just explain that while you may not have 3DS Max experience you do know x, y, and z software. Focus on what you know and how you can apply it to the new postition. In the post below I expand on the architcture interview process and have a few tips that might be useful for you.

http://www.thearchitectsguide.com/blog/2015/7/15/top-5-architecture-job-interview-questions

Good luck with your interviews!

Brandon H.

Jul 15, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

for starters do not discuss compensation unless they bring it up. & even then be honest & realistic. do your research on what others in your area with similar skill set & experience are making. 

Jul 16, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: