Archinect
anchor

Decent M.Arch programs to get into, GPA is problem.

OoohnooO

Hello Archinect I have a couple of questions regarding a M.Arch program for me to apply. I have my BBA in Finance, I also have my general contractors license in MI. My issue is the programs I want to apply to, UMich, UC Berkeley, UTexas, FIU, and prolly Sci-Arc or Tulane. Will look at my undergraduate GPA as a deterrent, does anyone have any experience with this? I feel I may have a good shot of getting in to most of them due to work experience, I have money to pay for the education with out loans, and a good portfolio thats not completely focused on design and shows my aptness for the engineering aspect. Serious inquiries please. Thanks for reading. 

May 30, 15 1:43 pm
natematt

There are multiple threads about this topic on Archinect already, I recommend you look them up. Most grad schools require a 3.0 or above for admissions, but if you are below that then they may still consider you if your other materials are good.

What was your GPA?

May 30, 15 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

What's with this cryptic dicking around? Just tell us the GPA next time or don't include it in the topic.

May 30, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

I thought I did, it's a 2.6 GPA.

May 30, 15 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Set your sights lower. But not too low that you're the desperate student willing to pay for admissions.

How is that GPA so low? Was it personal or a round of don't-give-a-damns?

May 30, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

Mostly personal, combined with being the first person in my family to go to college with parents that didn't know english too well when they arrived here in America to only teach me math & engineering in our native language. 

Kickrocks where would you recommend? I don't want to go somewhere where people second look at me, not that I plan on being a career employee at a firm, I want to start my own design build firm, therefore using my contractors license. 

May 30, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

If your design work is up to par, I'd be concerned about your ability to handle graduate courses. The GPA doesn't inspire confidence but your other parts might make up for it.

Most programs don't seem to have official GPA cutoffs anymore so that's good news for you. Not to say they welcome <3.0 applicants but I guess in tough budget times, they will sell a few seats if the applicant looks as if they can handle the work. As to where, no idea.

May 30, 15 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

How do you think you're going to get into an MArch program when you can't even post a question in the appropriate forum?

May 30, 15 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

d[-_-]b I do not post often, if you did not appreciate the posting in an incorrect place, where do you recommend then? Also a simple mis-posting should not indicate if I can get into a MArch program or not. 

Kickrocks is there any school you'd recommend I do NOT bother going to? I've read on this forum to stay away from Boston Architectural College, anywhere else?

Jun 1, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

I'd stay away from schools that claim themselves design/architecture schools and only that. A College or School of [...] part of a larger university is fine, but something like Parsons or Pratt or Boston Architectural, eh, you'd definitely get in because you're paying for the seat.

As much as I don't think rankings matter, try looking at the double-digit spots for grad programs. The whole list is linked somewhere. Even if it's not the best program, you at least won't be mocked for going to those schools.

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/112969915/di-2015-rankings

Jun 1, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: