Archinect
anchor

Pre-MArch: Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies

Hello, I really want to be an architect and I will work as hard as I can to go up to Masters of Architecture. I understand that bachelor of architecture would be best and I did get into schools that offer that program but I couldn't afford to go because all of them are outside of Canada (those are either in the States or Europe).  I recently got into both Bachelor of Applied Science (Engineering) in UBC and Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies in UofT. I wonder which path I should take. I myself equally love the arts and math but it seems that this decision limits me to take one way or the other.

I personally (at least now) lean towards BAS because unlike BA in Architectural studies, BAS is a professional degree. I don't want to be an engineer (because I don't think I am smart enough) but I believe a strong understanding of science is important for architecture (I can be wrong). If I take the engineering way, will I know less about Art theory (which to some Masters program it might be essential) therefore giving me smaller chance to get into  MArch?

Thank you

May 29, 15 9:27 pm
FluffyCloud

UofT BAS grad here. My advice would be to choose a program that you would be most successful in. The UofT program has mostly a humanities focus. So there is actually a lot of essay writing and theoretical content. You'll take courses in art history and learn a surprising amount about philosophy. The dean of Daniels is also a urban designer. So if you're interested in that area, U of T is great. I would say the most advantageous thing about the BAS program is that you get to do architecture studio courses, which are great for padding your portfolio. You can also apply to do workstudy for architecture professors, who could be great references for your M.Arch application. This could also be a doubled-edged sword however, since M.Arch programs tend to expect more out of applicants who have a design background. Moreover, you can also double major in a program offered at the Faculty of Arts and Science if you are interested in many different topics. I doubled majored in Architectural Studies and East Asian Studies with a minor in Urban Studies.

Also think about if you prefer to be in a smaller university or a larger university. If you thrive on being independent, then U of T is great. If not, maybe UBC is better. 

Another thing to consider is that people who graduate out of Engineering tend to have lower GPAs since engineering is so hard. So you could be in a bit of trouble if you don't do well in your first year (which is very common). It would be hard for you to transfer into something else. 

An engineering degree could pay off by the time you finish your M.Arch though, graduates with degrees in Computer Science/ Civil Engineering tend to have higher salaries I am told. 

You should also look into UBC's ENDS program, which is essentially an undergraduate architecture program. 

Either way, expect to face a lot of adversity and unexpected challenges.  Both schools and disciplines are great. I think it would be better to reframe your decision making by asking yourself "which school would I prefer to spend my next 4-5 years at?" rather than which program will have a higher chance of getting me into M.Arch. If you work hard and plan ahead you should be fine either way. 

May 31, 15 3:34 am  · 
 · 
Queens

Hi,

I am going to UofT Arch this fall.  You said, "You'll take courses in art history and learn a surprising amount about philosophy".  I could understand the rationale for art history in Arch program, but why a surprising amount about philosophy ?  Philosophy scares me off .  Is philosophy really mandotary, I mean not optional course,  and to a great amount !?

Jun 17, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

OP- doing anything other than a B.Arch as an undergraduate (while knowing that you really want to be an architect) is an absolute waste of time and money... Here's why:

1) Why don't you just transfer/apply to a B.Arch program? It's practically the same thing as an M.Arch.

2) Imagine you can't get into any decent grad schools. Your undergrad is basically worthless. It's almost like an extension of high school with a concentration. If you are going down that route, go to business school.

Jun 17, 15 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bulgar, a B.arch degree has not existed in Canada for over 10 years. The path to license is a 4y undergrad and a 1 to 3y M.Arch (length depends on your bachelor degree).

The only B.Arch are those offered by American universities and are not worth the money especially given that university tuition is highly subsidized in Canada and thus, a fraction of the cost.

A Canadian BAS is no-where near as useless as you claim. It's a different system than in the US.

To the OP, for what it's worth, UoT's undergrad is not architecture and not comparable to the other 2 schools in the region (Waterloo & Ryerson). UBC is a decent choice and perhaps following a year there you can transfer into the arch program,perhaps even with advance standing if you manage to take transferable elective courses.

Jun 17, 15 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: