Archinect
anchor

What is the best country for historic preservation/conservation?

justinritchey17

Hello, I am an architecture student interested in historic preservation and conservation, and I was curious which country is the best to study (for grad school) and practice historic preservation. Which country (and city) has the biggest demand for preservation architects and pay the most for preservationists? I want to eventually be a preservation architect and practice conservation and sustainability in historic buildings. Thank you for your comments and help. 

May 29, 15 10:29 am
anonitect

Study where you are going to practice. Lots going on in the States, and some good schools.

Do you speak languages other than English? Could you decipher old handwritten records in those languages?

Jun 3, 15 9:29 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

really?, Italy of course, way ahead of everybody else...you have to pass a year of architectural restoration in school. Firenze.

Jun 3, 15 9:47 am  · 
 · 

The UK has some excellent programmes in conservation:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=conservation%20architecture%20programme%20uk

And a relatively strong demand for conservation architects. 

As an aside, I don't think that most conservation programmes have much focus on sustainability  unless you mean through the use of traditional materials and things like air tightness.

Conservation issues and policies can be very regionially focused, so you should really think about where you want to end up and then look for the best programme nearby.

Good luck!

Jun 5, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 
smartsheep

Italy is good. But it's meaningless to go to Italy without a good command of Italian language.

Aug 8, 20 8:35 am  · 
 · 
strawberryfield

UK and Italy.

Roma-Lasapienza offers MA in conservation and Polimi in Mantua has a special MA course, but lecturers commute from Milan to Mantua and you can actually apply for the master of architecture course and choose thematic studios that concentrate on conservation/restoration/valorization. 

There are several joint erasmus mundus programs, but non of them in English (Still worth checking).

Aug 8, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: