Archinect
anchor

Anyone practicing in Salt Lake City?

Larchinect

We are contemplating expanding or moving our landscape architecture practice to the SLC area, partially for personal as well as professional reasons.

To put it plainly--we are getting bored with the work in our area. We are staying busy, but not necessarily moving toward the types of work we'd like to be doing and the cost of living is steep.

What makes the decision most difficult is that we are actually doing OK where we are. We are getting better projects, but it is slow coming.

SLC makes sense because its in the same region where we live now, plants are generally the same, as well as materials. SLC seems to have all the amenities we want--we are mountain people--ski, mountain bike, hike, etc. 

Another plus is that we could sell our place here and buy a home with much more space and put some cash in our pocket buying in SLC.

Couple things I cant figure out--

Why are there not more LA's and Architects, especially bigger national firms in SLC?

Does NOT being a Mormon preclude you from getting certain work?

With the lack of design offices in SLC (compared to say Denver) is there much work happening?

How do you move a fledgling business?

May 28, 15 11:53 pm
x-jla

Actually, from what Ive heard the Mormons really have a strong hold on everything and like to keep it in the family....What city are you currently in?

May 29, 15 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

What jla-x said.

May 29, 15 12:41 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Ugh, that's what I suspected, but everyone I have met from SLC has claimed otherwise. We are outside Aspen.

May 29, 15 1:23 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Not being a Mormon would probably preclude you getting work for the Church.  But other than that I don't see any problem.

May 30, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Less than 50% of SLC residents are Mormon ... and shrinking. Claims that you have to be Mormon to fit in or get work are exaggerated. I would recommend learning something about the Church so that you understand the culture you would be moving into, much like I wouldn't recommend living near Aspen without understanding a little about skiing. 

You don't have to be a Mormon architect or landscape architect to get work for the LDS Church, even significant high profile LDS work. Are there Mormon architects and landscape architects that worked on those projects ... probably, but it's not like you have to prove membership in order to do work for them. 

There is a lot of built-in networking that occurs because of the church and so smaller projects and things like that are kept "within the family" because people get referrals from people they know. Mormons do tend to keep to themselves and consequently social circles look very much like religious circles. However, breaking into the social circle does not require being a part of the religious circle. It would necessitate not offending off the religious/cultural part of the circle though. You aren't going to make connections by attending cocktail parties, or inviting a potential (Mormon) client to sit down for a cup of coffee.

May 30, 15 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

LA, what Intern said.

May 30, 15 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

The sizeable projects in the area do stay 'within the family' so to speak, generally.

May 30, 15 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Thanks.

Intern, thats essentially what I've been hearing. My wife and I were out for a visit a couple months ago and liked the area, mainly for the 'city' and adjacency to mountains. Seems like there is quite a bit going on and the people I know working there are working on interesting projects. Its pretty sprawly, but seems like there are some nice pockets. Havent been to PC yet, but hear its nice.

So, where do you live? Wheres the best place to set up an office?

May 31, 15 12:31 am  · 
 · 
I don't live in Utah, but have some extended family and friends that live there or used to. Mainly cities north and south of SLC along the I-15 corridor, but not really close enough to SLC for commuting, etc. So I'm afraid I can't be of much help for where to set up shop. Some people I went to school with worked in SLC for a while right after graduation but have all since moved on. I believe they lived downtown rather than one of the city's suburbs, but they were also single with no family so it might not be the same for you.
May 31, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Curious why SLC instead of Denver? Closer to mountains? Or is the market saturated and/or cost of living higher?

Jun 1, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Nam--Multiple reasons:

Denver market is somewhat saturated. Cost of living, particularly housing is sky high, traffic is terrible, and I-70 is a cluster pretty much 24/7. My wife and I lived in Denver, as well as up and down the Front Range for ten years before moving to the mountains. Its great here, but feeling a little isolated from the rest of the world. SLC seems to have a lot to offer, including much lower cost of living, an urban center, and easier access to the mountains. 

We're not making any leaps just yet. We'd like to start marketing that way first and see if we can drum up any work, then we'll see. We are quite busy here, but want to make sure we continue to evolve.

Jun 1, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Also, SLC feels like Denver twenty years ago. I think its an up and coming city that will continue to change and grow drastically over the next ten years. 

Jun 1, 15 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

Larchinect, thanks for responding. Pretty much what i figured. Regarding SLC that seems about right based on little i have read as well.

Jun 2, 15 8:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: