Archinect
anchor

pay increase after licensure

mj100

I want to take a poll to see how much of an increase (if any) people receive after becoming a licensed architect.

May 28, 15 6:41 am
Non Sequitur
$10k for me.
But you can't expect much if your responsibilities stay the same.
May 28, 15 6:46 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

current engineering firm gives a $1 per hour raise w/ license. 

previous firm, no change for license.  A large portion of the staff there didn't have a license, really made me realize how little a license and being a good architect are related.

May 28, 15 7:41 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

nothing.

but got something like an effective $20k raise by signing and sealing my own stuff off-hours.

May 28, 15 8:58 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Presumably the principals are licensed.  If so, your getting licensed doesn't add any value for them, so why would they give you a big raise?  If your duties change, it's a different story.  But why would your duties necessarily change just because you get a piece of paper from the state?  The license will add value to your resume for the next job (hopefully).

May 28, 15 8:59 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Once you become licensed, your firm can charge more for your services. Your pay should reflect that change. For the sake of simplicity, assume all hours are billable:

For example: interns are billed at $100/hr.  At a 4x multiplier, you'd be at $25/hr pay. Meanwhile a junior architect is billed at $125/hr. At a 4x multiplier, you should be at $31.25/hr pay. (in this case, a 25% raise, which some people might find laughable, but this tactic makes a fair argument to employers when renegotiating salary upon licensure).

May 29, 15 1:32 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

15% here, it's "technically" a promotion from designer to architect. 

May 29, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: