Archinect
anchor

What style of fireplace mantel is this?

phogal

I found this mantel at an antique shop and was wondering if anyone could tell me what style or era it's from.

Also if you have any suggestions for the type or style of shelf that could be used on it, that would be very greatly appreciated. 

May 28, 15 12:27 am
x-jla

I believe it was done by a famous designer named Jack Mehoff.  

May 28, 15 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Wow, great find, especially if it was done by Jack Mehoff. How much did you pay?

May 28, 15 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mehoff does good work. I often google-image search his stuff for inspiration.

May 28, 15 8:45 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

isn't that a headboard for a bed?

i would say it was probably from around 1930.  i think you should get a quartzstone shelf.

May 28, 15 9:17 am  · 
 · 

On second though I don't think it's a Mehoff. It looks more like a Ben Dover.

May 28, 15 9:30 am  · 
 · 

What's that crest/medallion thing made of?

If it's molded, like formed up from a gluey white substance, it's definitely Mehoff.  If it's carved wood, then I'd suggest it's by Heywood Jablome.

May 28, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

mike rotch did some similar work around the same time.

May 28, 15 9:46 am  · 
 · 

It's easy to confuse Jack Mehoff and Willy Stroker. Are you sure it isn't signed somewhere?

May 28, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The Mediterranean style of the medallion might suggest Muncha MiKuscki  perhaps...

May 28, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Willy Stroker is my right hand man... I know it's not his work which is rather brutal and abrupt.

May 28, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Don't like correcting peoples spelling, but isn't it Madoff? Sure I saw that in his Manhattan apartment, probably was auctioned off.

May 28, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 

It's definitely not the work of Mike Hunt. The lines are much too stiff and rigid. Not fluid enough.

May 28, 15 10:39 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Tube Bar Tapes

I'm sorry, but this is clearly the work of Al Coholic.

Official Tube Bar

May 28, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

The famous russian architect Ivanna Mandik did similar work, but that medallion is 100% Mehoff.  Im quite familiar with his work. 

May 28, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Are you sure it's not something along the lines of the work done by Hotek Ashowa after she relocated to the US?

May 28, 15 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Clearly this is Dick Busch's work. 

May 28, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Ada P Ness, anybody?

May 28, 15 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Mehoff left furnisher design to become a painter. the original jack the dripper.

May 28, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Seems like this thread has shot its wad and everyone is out of ammo.

May 28, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Wondering if Donna has any pics of the gentleman she was referring to?

May 28, 15 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

not if Rosie Palmer has any input on this. Its a Mehoff, clearly. Although his bruh Gimmy Moorehead may have been involved with he medallion.

May 28, 15 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Seems consensus is it's Mehoff, but I'm sure Rosie Palmer was responsible for polishing that wood

May 28, 15 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

right hand for the right job.

May 28, 15 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

I'm still not sure it's Mehoff. He and Pat McGroin are very similar.

Then again it could also be Phil McCracken.

May 28, 15 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I seem obsessed about this but- Rosie Palmer was very big influence on me for many years.  Even now, I'll rely on her in a pinch.  However no discussion of this topic would be complete without a mention of Dixon Koontz.  This consumes a lot of my work and research these days...

May 28, 15 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Could be made by that German guy who did that style of mantles, Adolf Oliver Nipls was his name.

May 28, 15 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Buck Nekkid did similar work in this style while he was working in the studio of Curley Pubes. After the two had a falling out over Buck Nekkid's torrid affair with Anita Wyderbox the sister of Curley Pubes Buck Nekkid started his own studio taking Ms. Wyderbox with him.

Falling further under the spell of Anita Wyderbox Buck Nekkid let his work falter. Broke and now an alcoholic Anita left him and moved in with one of his clients  one Dick Aiken.

Now Dick Aiken was a hard man to please and Anita left him after a year. She resurfaced two years later with scores of mantels of her own design. With the help of a mysterious benefactor by the name of Craven Moorehead she opened her own studio. He would not   come  around very often but when he did Anta Wyderbox would be sure to use her talents to attend to his needs and wants.

When the mantel market crashed Anita Wyderbox quit the business and became an exotic dancer going by the stage name of  Fonda Cox. One night an old memory walked in the door, Buck Nekked. He had cleaned himself up and gone sober. He came in to rescue Anita. They left together moved to the suburbs and got married. Buck Nekkid got a job as a designer with the architectural firm of  Packer, Beaver and Hymen.

Anta joined the PTA

May 28, 15 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

too young to be a fireplace carpenter.

May 28, 15 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Packer, Beaver and Hymen., what do they pay their interns?

May 28, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

*reads thread*

May 29, 15 1:47 am  · 
 · 

^ Isn't that Howie Felterbush?

May 29, 15 9:20 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Ivanna Kox. I'm certain of it. She was always working on hard wood. 

May 29, 15 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Is that floral motif a Daisy Chain? If so it's undoubtedly the work of Frank Lee Gay.

May 29, 15 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

This thread would neither be complete without a reference to Harry Jacques...

May 29, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can recommend Aaron B. Tweenyerears for any future mantle projects. 

May 29, 15 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and always use duck butter to polish.

May 29, 15 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: