Archinect
anchor

nice little article on the pantheon, engineering, geometry, and failure

awaiting_deletion
midlander

interesting stuff! thanks for posting.

“It is impossible to calculate the way a structure actually stands up,” he says. “All the engineer has to do is find one way that the structure could stand up.”

I don't think enough people recognize the extent to which engineering is still a work-in-progress. The things we know with absolute certainty are actually quite limited.

The idea that engineering is an aspect of the art of building which should be preserved is not widespread, but has a lot of appeal. I hope Ochsendorf's efforts help.

It's worth noting that Roman engineering was not at all perfect. Plenty of great structures did fail during earthquakes or due ground settlement. What's left are the ones worth studying.

May 27, 15 5:41 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i like the notion of geometry over strictly calculations.....and of course we can blame Galileo for all things modern science methods. Husserl did,Derrida did,even Hobbes took Galileo's method....

May 27, 15 6:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: