Archinect
anchor

Columbia MArchII... Prospective Student w/ questions

canadiandude1993

Hi Archinect, 

Does anyone have admissions statistics or advice to help me prepare the best I can to get into Columbia's MarchII program?

Info about me:
Fordham University sophomore --> junior 
3.7 gpa / Finance major (male, not sure if this matters though)
GRE: N/A

Portfolio: I have an amateur/alright portfolio, I'll be taking classes to make it better. 

* So yeah, any info about the program would be great. I would gladly read any links that you guys post and I am overall interested in admissions information. Thank you! 

May 20, 15 4:35 pm
BR.TN

You wont be elligible to get into Columbia's M.Arch II program - spots in that program are given to applicants who have a B.Arch already or a B.S.Arch with an amazing portfolio and likely several years of work experience.

You will be elligible for Columbia's M.Arch I program, however.

To prepare, definitely take GSAPP's Summer Architecture course. I forget the actual name but I'm sure another poster will come in and mention it.

Don't worry about the admissions statistics - they're typically inaccurate for architecture programs because each applicant is viewed subjectively by a small group of the school's professors/instructors on the admissions board. But if you MUST know, their acceptance rate is about 20% for Columbia, +/- 5%. Today, their reputation is dwindling a bit. They are the most expensive Ivy League program (when considering cost of living + tuition), with subpar facilities and student work compared to Yale, Princeton, Harvard, and MIT (who are less expensive). I'm not saying Columbia is a mistake, a bad investment, or a bad school to enroll to, but I am saying there are notable schools with better programs, for less money, that are better investments.

Your quantitative scores (GPA + prospective GRE) are good enough to get in, from a technical standpoint, but your portfolio will be the most important factor in your application, followed by your personal statement and letters of recommendation. If you apply with an amatuer/alright portfolio, but with a 3.7 GPA and a 169/169 GRE, you'll get denied every, single, time, guaranteed. So improve your portfolio relentlessly until you truly believe your portfolio is better than your friends'.

May 20, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

They'll have a few spots reserved for those who can pay for everything and receive nothing from the school. Not stated explicitly but M.Arch I is an easy cash machine. You don't want to be that person but it certainly means the acceptance statistics are far from transparent.

May 20, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
canadiandude1993

Thank you for correcting me! March1* This is great information thank you very much.

May 20, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: