Archinect
anchor

What minor most related to Historic Preservation

justinritchey17

Hello, I am an Undergrad Architecture student who is trying to pick a minor, because I have credits I need to fill. When I go to grad school I want to specialize in historic preservation, so I want to get a minor related to historic preservation or that will help me out as a preservation architect in the future. My school does not offer a minor in architecture history, sustainability, or historic preservation. I have considered either technology management (business), art history, history, anthropology or geography. What would be the most helpful or related to historic preservation or architecture? I thought business would, I am just not sure if I would like business, because of finance and accounting. I am more of a humanities and history person. What minor should I get? If you have any other suggestions please tell me, I am not set on any minor. Thank you so much for your time and help. 

May 15, 15 6:44 pm
Wilma Buttfit

I say art history... just my thoughts. I think that a foundation in art history is a foundation in all of mankinds' thoughts and creations, including architecture. What do you want to eventually do?

May 15, 15 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

History, engineering, urban planning, archaeology, museum studies, chemistry.... lots to choose from -- what kind of preservation work are you interested in? Research is a big part of most preservation practice, so a history minor is an obvious choice. But, if you want to deal with old structures, engineering might be a better fit. Preservationist talk about placemaking quite a bit -- planning would be relevant there. Etc.

May 16, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 

most related..... 

Historic Preservation

It is best to know what school you are at. Historic preservation is multi-disciplinary. It can be geography particularly human geography / cultural geography with an emphasis on the past vs. the present. It can be archaelogy, it can be alot of disciplines. There is no simple answer to that. It can even be crafts and trade on the construction side of things like window restoration, door anatomy, etc. There is alot to this subject area.

May 16, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thank you all for all of the comments. They are helpful. I am currently at UT San Antonio, but plan to get my graduate degree and specification of historic preservation at UT Austin or TAMU. I want to do preservation design and restoration. When I am a preservation architect, I want to restore, rehabilitate and reuse old buildings. Also, unfortunately, my school does not offer any minors in engineering, urban planning or construction. 

May 16, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Explain your school's historic preservation program is like? I been at the one at UO and the Associate degree program at Clatsop Community College. No one HP program is alike and has various areas of focus. You'll want to look at the curriculum. You may want to consider courses at other institutions in this program if the one at UT Austin or TAMU isn't in your area of interest. This can be a Masters degree or an Associates degree or something. You may have to travel about to find the right program. Keep that in mind. 

I'm not intending to imply any judgment of the two schools you mentioned.

May 16, 15 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

UT Austin program focuses on architectural conservation and documentation, historic site management, and preservation planning and development. It seems to be more focused on research, policy, and planning than design. They also offer a PhD with the program for further research. Thanks for letting me know that not all Historic Preservation programs are the same. I wanted a dual MArch and MSHP and I assumed they were all the same. UC Denver and U of Maryland both have focus areas on design and Tulane has a focus on technology and methodology. Maybe those schools will be a better fit since I want to reuse, conserve, preserve, and redesign historic buildings. Tulane even has preservation studios in their curriculum. TAMU, only has a certificate in preservation, and I rather get an masters, because a masters offers more for my education. I will keep researching for different schools. Thanks for your advice.

May 17, 15 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The National Council on Preservation Education (ncpe.us) has a breakdown of all schools that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in historical preservation. The Clemson graduate program offered in conjunction with the College of Charleston seems attractive.

May 17, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

What would be the most helpful or related to historic preservation or architecture? I thought business would, I am just not sure if I would like business, because of finance and accounting. I am more of a humanities and history person

Sorry, but if you want to do historic preservation you should think about acting as an owner/developer rather than conventional architect if at all possible.  Owning the building gives you a lot more control.  Developer clients have a bad habit of doing horrible things to beautiful old buildings, including knocking them down.  If you are in business for yourself, you need to know about finance and accounting whether you like them or not.  Don't just pick a minor that is almost identical to your major.  Diversify your knowledge.  Things change on you all the time.

May 17, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thanks for the website. It shows the focus areas for all of the schools. My interests in historic preservation is architectural conservation, technology, and architecture/design. According to the website, SCAD, UT Austin, Tulane, Columbia, Boston Architectural College, UC Denver, U of Florida, U of PA, U of Vermont, and Ursuline Collage has a program focused in architecture design, conservation, or technology. I want to get a dual degree in architecture with the MSHP as well, so the school has to have a good architecture program as well. Which of these schools, besides the two IVY's (It is very unlikely I would get in or could afford it) is known for a good historic preservation and architecture program. Thanks. 

May 17, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thanks for your advice geezertect. I will think about getting a more diverse minor and look into business. Some of those schools, like Tulane, has real estate development courses and majors that I can look into. Thank you all for all of the helpful advice, I will surely think hard about my minor and future grad school. 

May 17, 15 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: