Archinect
anchor

Doctors Model for Architects

So a lot of interior/architectural projects happen without consulting an Architect. Plans are often designed by contractors or engineers (or self design) because Architectural design isn't affordable to the masses.

So why not have a doctors model, of having in-patients and out-patients.

In-patient's case would be to do a full-fledge project like we normally do.

Out-patient's would to give consultation( hourly appointment) for 'the people who dont normally hire an architect'.  So they can bring in their 'contractor plans', as builts, photographs , survey etc; and have a discussion with the architect. You could charge like $100-300 per session, site visits extra.

Possible Flaws, design ideas and tips, cost saving solutions, product recommendation etc could be the agenda of the meeting. This might work well with residential and remodeling, interior design and landscape projects.

Moreover with this model, one can get it designed by a normal architect, and get consultation from say a starchitect.

Share some thoughts.

May 15, 15 1:36 pm
mightyaa

No other models needed as some of us already do this...

Examples:

Basement remodel.  Contractor/owner brings me out, I charge hourly, we discuss, lay down tape, talk about options, I leave and send bill.

QAQC reviews of other architect's/designer/engineer's drawings.  Just red pen markup.

QAQC inspections; GC has issue on project, hauls me out to look at it and offer guidance.  Hourly... maybe a report or stamping a ASI type document.

HOA's/Property Management; Same thing... they just want to talk, have me look at something, sketch up solution in the field, go home.

Retainers.  Some have put me on annual retainer just to pick my brain on various things.  Normally this is a Property Management or HOA deal revolving around maintenance, repairs, minor upgrades like decks or scoping a new project.  Sometimes a report to pacify a concerned owner like hairline cracks aren't a sign that the building is going to collapse on them.

Friends and family usually pay me in beer...

May 15, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Considered opening a shop in the old neighborhood I grew up in, in the old bakery my mom sent me to, found it intact and vacate, was going to call it "The Bakery" and give out over the counter advice (mostly free), doing decks, picking colors.... put out free donuts & coffee for people in the neighborhood... the idea was to teach architecture to the neighborhood (not unlike Rural Studio) and to save houses and keep them from being painted purple.... still love the idea.

May 15, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Design is always within the reach of those who construct.  How much they want to spend defines how much you can or can't do for them.  $500 is about 2 hours of my time. So, for a homeowner, that's not drawings, just a lot of talking and snapping wall lines on floors while they take notes and ask questions.  Drawings are nothing more than a way to convey information... that is not our only method to communicate.

They buy your intellect and experience.  Drawings are often the least efficient use of your time to get across the information they want from you.  You'd be surprised what can be built if you just sketch up something on a napkin and let them figure out how to put it together.

May 15, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

I charge for all my little phone chats. If someone wants to have more than a small little phone chat, I force them to put me on retainer. Unless they pay their bills really fast. To those people, I give a discount.

May 15, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

^ "You'd be surprised what can be built if you just sketch up something on a napkin and let them figure out how to put it together."

This is true - humans are innate problem solvers...BUT you'd be surprised at how quickly we can get paid more by usurping this responsibility of "letting them figure out how to put it together" and instead figuring it out for them, in turn increasing our value to then argue for higher wages.

I aim to not only design a building, but to design the instructions on how to build it as well. Rather than relying on an engineer to manifest my construction documents into something that can support next season's snow loads, I aspire to only use an engineer for their stamp, but never their time. If I'm smart enough to design a building, then I should be smart enough to figure out how I would build it if I was apart of the construction crew.

May 15, 15 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I already do this, I do a napkin sketch while on site and that is all. I do basement finishes, kitchens, baths, decks and patios. People appreciate getting a professional designer's input without having to buy a full set of services.

May 15, 15 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Yes, great idea.

May 15, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Oh, I thought you meant that doctors would spend years in school learning a specialized skill, need to do even more years of on the job training, then take difficult exams just for the opportunity to charge minimum wage, get undercut by people without high school educations, be second guessed by their clients and disrespected my morticians who "know better how this stuff works"

Well, doctoring is kinda like that...
May 15, 15 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

the architecture 5cent guy used pretty much the same business model

May 15, 15 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

So how about having a platform, where clients can book sessions with architects(with all the architects in a city listed). So say every architect is dedicating 2-3 hrs a week for consultation. 

Can this develop as a prominent vertical in architectural practice? would it encourage people to not take full design services?

May 15, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don't laugh, but people will pay for designers to design dog houses too. 

May 15, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You want to Play "Doctor?"

May 15, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: