Archinect
anchor

M. Landscape Architecture at CUNY

lastudent

Hi all,

Do any of you have experience with the M. landscape architecture program of three years at the Spitzer school of Architecture at CUNY?

My concern is that the program seems a bit introductory. Is it suited for someone who holds a bachelor degree in landscape architecture, or is it meant for students with a more general design background? 

Any feedback from someone who knows something about the program, or similar three year programs of landscape architecture at other schools in the States would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Best

Kim

May 15, 15 11:58 am
wreky

M.arch 1 programs (landscape or architecture) are designed to accommodate students with no background in the major and will generally run 2-3 years. The M.arch 1 degree is the accrediting degree that counts towards your architects license.

M.arch 2 programs are for grads who already hold an accredited bachelors degree and want to further their education. This degree usually only runs 1-2 years.

So for example, if you have a 4 year non accredited architecture degree (like my dumbass does), you'd have to take the 3 year m.arch 1 degree where you get to do fundamentals and build unrecognizable forms for the frist year all over again. yay! 45k down the drain. However, the second and third year will probably be challenging as everyone with no background has already caught up to the same level of skill sets.

May 18, 15 11:22 am  · 
 · 
lastudent

Thanks!

It's differently structured in Europe, where the bachelor is three years, and usually points directly towards the masters which is always two years. So if I were to go to the States, I guess I'm stuck with the dilemma: do I want to receive a master's degree after only 4 years total and hope that I'm then ready for  professional life, or do I want to do 6 years in total, where one or more of them is repetition with students who have no background in the field.

If you can shed a light on that dilemma for me, then I'd really appreciate some advice. Otherwise thanks again for clearing this up for me!  

May 18, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: