Archinect
anchor

help in design requirements stadium?

kalpana_gupta

so, i am currently doing my thesis on sports complex for which i have to design a stadium and i couldn't understand whether these requirements are enough or not. 

the stadium is multipurpose with the biggest game arena of basketball.

lobbies- team, vip, players, jury, 
locker rooms- 4nos 2 for each team and coach
shower+washrooms-4nos 2 for each team and coach
dressing room-4nos 2 for each team and coach
washrooms below the first tier including segregated washrooms for vip and media.
ducts for plumbing,electrical,Air handling unit, fire.
segregated lobbies for vip,media,spectators
commentator's room
vip lounge
premium cubicles (for spectators willing to pay more for comfort)
restaurant and retail outlets

capacity- 3,800 

parking- 400 basement
-20 on ground
-30 handicapped on ground

May 13, 15 3:34 pm
BR.TN

the following is completely unnecessary for a 3,800-person basketball stadium:

"washrooms below the first tier including segregated washrooms for vip and media.
segregated lobbies for vip,media,spectators
commentator's room
vip lounge
premium cubicles (for spectators willing to pay more for comfort)"

actually, the entirety of your program is completely unnecessary because nobody cares to attend a basketball game with less than 4,000 spectators...unless its the championship game of the state's high school tournament...and even though that particular game only occurs once a year (and could therefore be regarded as a "special occasion"), STILL nobody is going to need special treatment like premium cubicles or a VIP lounge or, gasp. socioeconomic segregation.

if your thesis advisor has a problem with me being condescending towards your D-3 college soccer sports stadium as a graduate student, then maybe they could have advised for you to design a major sports stadium in a city that currently has a major market force but lacks a local professional team, and then they could further advised you to consider its design under the pragmatic concerns of economic expansion at the neighborhood-scale in conjunction with public transportation corridors and the future of walkable/bikable cities. sheesh.

May 13, 15 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

BRTN, relax a little bro, I am sure the OP is planning on adding solar panels and a green wall in the lobby. That shit will make the thesis tight!

Kal, add an extra zero to that attendance number and maybe you can justify special pampering suites and personalized helicopter landing pads.... also this is not a thesis unless you're arguing that size and market have zero impact on the reqs of a mediocre sports arena.

May 13, 15 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
kalpana_gupta

well, here in India, basketball game is not very popular. the idea of taking this topic for my thesis was to develop a sports complex of district level which serves 4 sectors of the area having 8000 families. 

idea of giving a stadium here is to hold games for inter-school/college of the same state. some colleges, however, invite VIPs to the game for which i have provided the lobbies and lounges.

In India basketball for youth is developing which attracts youth to participate with full enthusiasm. Since, Delhi does not have any "proper" basketball stadium, such games are held in a place having rough surfaces which are not very suitable for players playing on it, thus, the stadium will serve as one of its first giving players opportunity to give their 100%.

It stadium can also be used as a concert hall or for holding functions or having presentations and speeches thus involving a lot of media. 

as far as the segregation is concerned, we "have to" provide segregation to VIPs(if any) and keep media away from them for the same reason. 

I truly am against the segregation but can't really help it. it's kind of the untold norms here. 

now talking about the thesis topic. 

what i wanted to do was doing the landscape of sports complex without having any stadium in it. which would have been designing a sports complex with maximum facilities that can be given to people in the area. but in my college you cannot do thesis on just a site instead you 'have to' choose a building type for it.

my main interest is in landscape because of which i chose this topic to create moon like effect on the streets and water bodies while entering the complex etc. but was told to do this. however i have tried my best to give my 100% to the site planning and landscaping of the site.

sorry if i had offended or made anyone feel bad about what i said earlier or right now but this is my point of view.

any comments or criticisms are welcome. please tell me if i am thinking in the right way because according to me i am but not very sure.

May 13, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

whats the deal with Indian thesis projects...The schools seem to love these mash ups.

May 14, 15 12:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Will Denis Rodman have his own personal suite then?
May 14, 15 6:40 am  · 
 · 
Zbig

Outside of the US, many small to medium size cities have a municipal arena that seats 3,000 to 5,000. This happens in Europe, Asia, and Latin America.

Kalpana, what other sports are planned? Multisport arenas usually have markings for basketball, futsal, volleyball, and perhaps team handball if it is played in your country.

The locker rooms, shower and restrooms, and dressing rooms for athletes can be combined into units for each team. You should have 4 to 6 of these units if you plan on hosting tournaments. Two teams play while two teams that just played shower, and two teams that will play are getting ready. I have seen top-level European sports competitions where teams share locker facilities if they are not playing each other.

You will need a locker room for officials as well, plus a small room in case you have to do anti-doping control or tournament management.

On the public side, you have determined that you need segregated VIP and press areas. As others have said, it might be too much for a small arena, but you can have a couple of VIP areas that can be screened off for pre- and post-game receptions.

I imagine that you will have local teams train daily in the facility. If you are near a residential area, you could have a small restaurant or café with views of the playing area where parents and relatives can have a cup of tea/coffee while the athletes play. That can also be used to help with revenue when you have low attendance games.

If you will have local teams train there, you should also consider a weight/exercise room and a nice outdoor area to warm up.

Don't forget a generous sports equipment storage area, especially if it is a multi-sport arena. The basketball hoops can fold up, but the futsal and volleyball equipment will have to be stored.

Edit: Will the arena also be used for music and stage performances? Think about it.

May 14, 15 8:52 am  · 
 · 

I think you need to look up telescopic seating companies (folding and moving bleachers) and also visit some sports arenas. a lot of the revenue is from VIP supper fancy clubs some don't even have views into the arena they are places for rich people to be scene and acknowledged. 

Building codes will dictate restrooms use that as a guide for the restrooms.

separate locker rooms and showers are needed for women's sports. also include offices and meeting spaces to discuss strategy one in each locker room. Also in each locker room a press conference area 50-100 people

Medical trainers rooms in each locker room.

Media broadcast boxes that are behind glass and have a clear view.

In your sections make sure you study sitting fans, standing fans and fans with their arms over their heads when looking at sight-lines.

I am not certain of the ideal ratio but for every 10-15 seats you need maybe 10 sf  in circulation and 8-10 sf retail/food vendors on top of exits restrooms and back of house storage.

Also often over looked the loading dock and having a clear straight path to the arena floor, you should have plans for 3-4 full length trucks loading and unloading at any time

also bus entry (fancy motor coaches) for home and visiting teams for security reasons they need a secure enclosed garage to enter and exit the arena. Sometimes this is part of an underground parking garage or a tunnel connects to an adjacent building.

You need to think about the fee barrier, security and where to form lines safely so they don't block exits and or become targets.

this is a huge undertaking for a thesis project.

Several Kansas city firms deal in arenas most of the specialty for arenas is located there in 3-4 firms, look them up and ask for some guidelines if they might be willing to share

The best designed stadiums employ the entire site to manage lines and to create as comfortable of a fan experience as possible, so in a tropical environment shading and means to keep people comfortable while they Q up to get inside will have a lot of potential to integrate pavilions and services into a landscape. Often one thing that would have made my sports arena experience better would have been a few well planed restrooms just before you reach your car, or transit system as you leave.

Over and OUT

Peter N

May 14, 15 10:00 am  · 
 · 
kalpana_gupta

zbig , Peter Normand thanx so much!! it's gonna help me tons!

May 14, 15 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: