Archinect
anchor

VT vs UW? Help!

Thirteeneven09

I would like to get comments on what people in the community would consider a better decision for Masters program. I have been accepted into both Virginia Tech's M.Arch 2 program and University of Washington's  Master of Architecture program. Both programs pedagogies are inline with the studies that I wish to practice. 

Here are the break down of the specifics:

VT:

pros: Higher national ranking and better reputation

less expensive tuition and living

offered a Graduate teaching assistant position that pays for almost all of my tuition and fees

cons: it's a small town and I've lived in small towns and the east coast for most of my life and would like to live in something different

UW: 

pros: Larger urban community and on the west coast

offered me a fellowship that pays for a little over 3/4th of my tuition and fees.

cons: more expensive tuition and living 

not as high of national ranking

​I think that VT would be the better choice monetarily and it's a stronger school, but the idea of living in a large urban context like Seattle, during my graduate studies, would really further my education and life experiences. if you have any comments or anecdotes that you could share that might make this decision easier I would be highly grateful. Thank you for your time and help.

May 13, 15 1:35 pm
flatroof

The rankings don't matter. If you want to live in the PNW/SF when you graduate, UW; if you you want to live in DC Area/South, VT.

May 13, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The size of the place you live won't matter.  You will see the same 300 people every day because you will live at studio.

May 13, 15 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Thirteeneven09

Thank you for the responses.

flatroof

I understand that going to graduate school in the a certain area will give me a leg up in that area after I graduate, but i imagine that i could move to the area afterwards if I really wanted to practice there. I agree that the ranking doesn't matter it just kind of gives a little incentive one way. 

senjohnblutarsky

I didn't so much mean size of city when saying larger urban community, more along the idea of difference in urban culture to small town life. I have visited New York City and i know the area is different from Gainesville, FL in many factors of culture. Also, I know how busy studio life can be but no matter what the context of where you live and  where your school is, drives your design or should.

I was wondering if anyone who lives in Blacksburg or Seattle could comment on the dynamics of the city and the studio culture.

May 13, 15 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Blacksburg is a big small town.  If that make sense...

There are a lot of conveniences you wouldn't find without  the school being there.  It's a great place in that everything you need is reasonably close, or if you just want to escape, that's not far away either. An hour's drive can put you in a lot of other interesting places as well.  If outdoor recreation is your thing, there are some great places for that.

I can't speak to the graduate studio culture, but there can be a lot of cliquing among the undergrad.  Usually this is influenced by the professors a certain group will follow.  Some of the professors attract specific types of people.

When I went through, we actually had studio happy hours on Friday.  Large numbers, spanning multiple years of studio, would take off at 5:00 and head to the Hokie House.  Once happy hour was over, everyone relocated or went back to studio.  So, there was a decent sense of community among some of the folks in studio.

If malls are your thing, look elsewhere.

May 13, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Thirteeneven09

senjohnblutarsky

Thanks for the response. It sounds a lot like my undergrad, both the cliques and the drinking. The big small town makes sense, I've lived in a few of those. Outdoors is definitely more my style, and I know Blacksburg is a great place if you want to commute via alternative means like biking and busing. 

I feel like VT might also be a better choice because of the Teaching Assistant position and being able to work under a professor. I might be able to get one with UW, but VT is a definite. Any thought?  

May 13, 15 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: