Archinect
anchor

Considering Switching Career to Architecture

kendallram

Hello,

I am looking for any advice from anyone who has gone through a similar process to myself in the struggle to wanting to become and Architect.  A little back story, I began college with the intention to becoming an architect, but as much as I loved being on my way to becoming an architect, my financial situation caused me to change my career path.  This was about 8 years ago and I completed about 70% of my AA degree.

Now 8 years later, I am unhappy, unmotivated, and no matter what I do I feel like there is a void that keeps pulling me back to architecture.  I even enrolled in a summer class to do basic CAD this summer.  That being said, I do work full-time at a University and already have a Master's degree in Accounting, which I tried and absolutely hated that experience.  

My questions are as follows:

Is it too late to pursue a career in architecture, as I am nearing 30?

I found a couple fully online March. programs which would cater to me in terms of convenience, has anyone completed any such program?

There are quite a few schools in my area who offer the March program for folks without a degree in architecture, but the problem is the classes are traditional day.  Has anyone here totally quit their job to pursue this and if you have any advice on what to do in this situation?

Lastly, I was considering getting a drafting certificate, so if I were to quit my current job and pursue architecture full-time, at least I can do some freelance work while in school.  Has anyone done something similar?

I know these are many questions, but I haven't found much online so any and all support/ responses are much appreciated.  Thank you!

May 13, 15 11:17 am
curtkram

it is not too late to pursue a career in architecture.

on the other hand, a career in architecture may not alleviate the void and your feelings of being unhappy and unmotivated.  also, your financial situation is unlikely to improve if you try to switch careers, especially if you have to take out loans to get the degree and don't have time to work as much as you do now, so your current earning potential will be significantly reduced.  in the long term, you won't be making that much as an architect, so it will be that much harder to get ahead.

i've never seen a drafting certificate help anyone, but my experience is limited.

May 13, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I suppose that the AIA's #ilookup campaign is in full swing, and this will not be the final "I'm going to switch to architecture because I hate my current career" thread.

"You gotta love what you do, it's not about the money"

~Every CAD monkey in the world

May 13, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Only if there's a way to trade degrees/careers without going back to school etc... I would

May 13, 15 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Seeing you already have a Masters in Accounting, there is no need to continue collecting degrees to be happy. Accounting has much better earning potential than architecture. In three years time, you could be making multiples of what you would make as an intern CAD monkey...I mean architect. Try to find hobbies outside of work to fill your void. Take art classes, volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. Your career doesn't define who you are. And you will find you will have much more free time to pursue hobbies as an accountant rather than as an architect.

May 13, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Have you considered being a CAD monkey/Accountant for an Architecture firm?  You could get a taste of the industry that way, offer multiple talents to the firm, and probably get paid better than just doing cad work.

May 13, 15 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
kendallram

Thank you all.  I am well aware of the money aspect, but surely many of you have some positive advice as to why you did architecture? 

I already know this is what I want to pursue no matter the caution, I am really just looking for some advice from anyone who went through a similar path.  I look forward to any more responses.  

May 13, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

lol...sometimes you gotta either cry or laugh...in this case both!

I guess you better start looking into Ivy League schools...

May 13, 15 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
kendallram

Lol. I know! It's frustrating like no other

May 13, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

30? shut up!  I'm 35 and planning to go do my Masters in two years ><  Architecture is long haul.  No short cuts.  You either have passion for it and keep getting better at it until you die or you don't.

May 14, 15 2:23 am  · 
 · 
arch1

I think your accounting background puts you at an advantage as an architect, especially within the larger practices where management decisions are made by several people. Do try get to the top notch architecture schools if you can and I'm sure if you're bound to have people queuing to have you on board. In your case, I would suspect that accounting will be your advantage to getting employment in an architecture practice because of commercial acumen that other architects generally wouldn't have. 

May 14, 15 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
kendallram

Thank you arch1!  So I should really consider going to school full-time instead of trying to do it part-time you think?

May 15, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 

You should browse this forum and reads all the threads about architects looking for different careers.

May 15, 15 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Ledo20

i am in the same boat. I’m a cpa working at a big4 firm and although I don’t hate my job, it doesn’t fulfill me and fills me with some existential dread. I start taking interior design classes at parsons to pursue something creative. But I like it so much that want to take it to the next level I m looking into March and mfa in interior design programs and inclined towards March. What did you end up doing?:) 

Mar 1, 22 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: