Archinect
anchor

Civil engineering to Architecture?

tessa.art

Is it possible to do my undergrad in civil engineering and then do a masters in architecture? I really wanted to do architecture but the only school I applied to was of course the most competitive and I got rejected. The reason I only applied to one is because my parents have very high standards in terms of school reputation and would only allow that school, trust me if I had the choice I would have applied to the two other schools that offer architect (that's close to where I live).

That aside, I have been accepted for civil engineering so would it be possible to do a masters in architecture right after? Or have I completely screwed up my chances...

May 12, 15 4:45 pm
senjohnblutarsky

You can do so.  You'll probably make more as a civil engineer, but in the end, you should do what you want and worry about money later.

May 12, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

There is no reason you couldn't.

These programs are very different though. This doesn't mean anything for your ability to go from one to the other, I just don't think you'll end up enjoying one if you enjoy the other. But hey, I don't know you!

May 13, 15 12:42 am  · 
 · 
tessa.art

Are there a lot of schools that would accept this though? The two schools I was looking at that are near me says the requirements is a  B.Arch.Sci. degree or equivalent. UBC says having any 4 year bachelor degree is fine so does that mean my options are limited?

May 13, 15 7:51 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"UBC says having any 4 year bachelor degree is fine so does that mean my options are limited?"

This sentence doesn't make any sense at all to me. Why would your options be limited at UBC when they just said any degree is fine?

May 13, 15 8:38 am  · 
 · 
tessa.art

Sorry, I meant that so far I've only looked at a couple schools but UBC is the only one that stats any 4 year bachelor degree is fine. So does that mean my choices aren't as diverse compared to someone with a bachelor in architect?

May 13, 15 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tessa, UBC is not the only Canadian grad school that accepts non architecture background students. I believe only Waterloo and Mcgill require a BAS or B.Arch (which no longer exists) to apply for Masters.

May 13, 15 9:06 am  · 
 · 
3tk

It's rather common, but do understand that the pedagogy is very different. natematt is right in observing that if you're suited for one, the other may not be a very good fit.

May 13, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: