Archinect
anchor

Coolhaus Ice Cream sandwiches

This is one of the best interviews I've ever read on taking a turn away from traditional architecture practice and turning it into a viable, super-cool business.

Natasha Case and Coolhaus.

I showed these architects as an example of nimble, creative, non-traditional thinking in the ProPractice class I taught four years ago - back when they were just one truck and showing up at places like Morphosis' office happy hour. It's amazing to see how far they have pushed the business, with lots of drive.

Congratulations, Natasha and Freya!

May 5, 15 12:06 pm
bowling_ball

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

Now excuse me, I have to reissue a dozen SIs because they were labelled "Information" instead of "Instruction".  FML. I'm going out for ice cream.

May 5, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

Born on third and hit a home run. Very envious here.

May 5, 15 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

+1 BR.TN, best line one liner.  

I don't understand the connection to architecture, so what, they have an ice cream sandwich that in some cartoony pictorial representation looks like a building...their whole spiel could be a skit on Portlandia...put a bird on it!

May 5, 15 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I'm told they are delicious - looking forward to hunting down one of their trucks this summer.

May 7, 15 9:34 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I don't understand the connection to architecture

Maybe that's the point.  There is life without architecture.  Her obvious creativity found an outlet outside the profession.  Too many never escape and spend their years slowly withering away in a cubicle somewhere checking shop drawings and wondering what happened to the dream.

May 7, 15 11:33 am  · 
 · 
natematt

They really are fantastic. Anyone who hasn't been there should go.

May 9, 15 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I don't understand the connection to architecture

Koolhaas - pronounced Coolhaus

May 9, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Connection to architecutre - pfft!

May 10, 15 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: