Archinect
anchor

Beginner looking for help from all!!

44franco

Hi everyone!

I am a graduating senior who is going to attend Brown University next year which is just minutes away from RISD and really want to learn more about architecture!

The most I have done is sketch some blueprints for fun, nothing technical or structurally sound and really want to learn more and do more!

Im really wondering and could use some help as to where to start. What should I do first, should I download and start using an online program like 'Revit" or something online or should I start learning how to sketch proper blueprints, or anything along those lines. 

Im just really enthusiastic about this and can see myself doing something with architecture in the future and an anxious to know where and how to start!!

Any help is great and can't wait to hear from some of you!

thank you!! 

May 3, 15 11:22 pm
Driko
Why are you going to brown then?
May 4, 15 5:36 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

https://www.brown.edu/academics/art-history/undergraduate/architectural-studes/concentration-architectural-studies

Brown has a concentration in architecture, this will teach you what you need to know and if you want to pursue it further...double major just don't do the architecture so you have a back up plan ahaha

May 4, 15 7:34 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

read a lot

at this point learning software won't be especially helpful.  better to learn arch. history, theory, and how buildings are put together.

May 4, 15 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Dream, and never stop.

May 4, 15 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Travel locally, regionallz and internationally - study abroad if you can.

May 4, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Buy a sketchbook and start sketching away. Pick any building that you find interesting and try to capture what makes it so interesting. Is it the form? or is it the use of materials etc. This will help develop your observational skills and your sketching abilities. Both are fundamentals for an architect. 

May 4, 15 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

3 things!

1. learn to play again...sketching and conceptualizing imaginative ideas is closely related to play.  I feel more close to my 10 year old self now in my 30s than I did in my teens and 20s.  Get back in the sandbox. 

2. Learn to feel...Get the feel for materials and how they work...make structures...experiment with materials...go buy a bag of concrete and cast a planter box...find some scrap wood and build a dog house...Anything...no need for math yet...just get the feel...work on your intuitive knowledge of materials and structures.

3. Learn to see...pay attention to everything...the pleated form of a leaf...the cracks in the pavement...get in tune with the environment...natural and built....creativity is about connections.  The wider your mental visual and spatial library is the easier time you will have finding solutions.

May 4, 15 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: