Archinect
anchor

I need to vent...

JeromeS

I've worked in architecture since 1990, but am currently on hiatus working in related industry at a job that actually pays well.  I do not have a degree in architecture, NAAB or otherwise.  I was admitted to IDP as a NY candidate based on a combination of College and work experience.  I completed IDP in 2010(?)  I have successfully completed the AREs, passing my last test on March 2.

Since then I've been in a holding pattern, ready to explode with anxiety and impatience.  It seems that traditionally certified applicants receive a license number within days of final exam and "last pass".  I've had lots of interaction with the OP since then; a more recent Form 1, an additional Form 4, correspondence with my previous employer, email verification for completeness...

I last talked to the Office of Professions on April 1.  Their response was Board needed to review, sometime in the next 4 weeks.  The Board had a meeting on April 27 and I am trying to be patient, holding to the faith that the Board deemed my application complete.

Hopefully, there is no issue.  However, there clearly seems to be a difference in the way the two types of licensure candidates are handled.  While I've made some non-traditional choices which put me on the path outlined above-  I'm ready for this part of my career to end...

Apr 29, 15 2:52 pm
chigurh

sounds like you are already there...just wait for the letter to show.

what is the rush given you aren't even working in the field?

Apr 29, 15 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I can understand your frustration. But: the records of people who take non-traditional routes are less standardized and I don't think it's so unreasonable that these typically receive extra scrutiny in any profession where health, safety and welfare are potentially impacted.

I was more frustrated with the opposite side of this: When I was initially licensed all candidates had to be voted on at a board meeting, and the board only met 5 times per year. My NCARB transmittal didn't happen quickly enough for my name to make it onto the agenda for the first meeting after my last ARE Pass, so I had a wait of nearly 5 months.  It seems to me that people who do the NCARB-typical route (standard IDP, NAAB degree, and ARE) should in fact be processed immediately, without having to wait for the formality of the board vote.

Look on the bright side: NY's board currently meets every month.  Most likely they approved you 2 days ago.

Apr 29, 15 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think 'within days' is typical

also, this isn't much of a vent.  no strings of profanity or anything.  no personal attacks against bureaucrats.  you don't even sound mad, just kind of politely addressing a grievance.  i bet you could do better.

Apr 29, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^curtkram

Thanks, I needed that.  Today has been a shitty day, and that made me smile...

Apr 29, 15 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I would say,  "Provide a 2" dia pvc pipe thru the roof, to eliminate all sewer gasses."

That should take care of your problem.....

...s.n.o.o.k.e.r.....

Apr 29, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Within days is typical if you've submitted all your paperwork and are waiting on your last pass - contingent upon having gone to an NAAB program and not doing any sort of weird shit with your experience. I was licensed within a week of my last pass, and that was a few years ago. On the flipside, I've seen people argue with OP for 10 months straight to get a license if they didn't follow the traditional NAAB path.

Apr 29, 15 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Hesitate to comment, because it doesn’t sound too serious, but for what it’s worth, I had to follow a non-traditional path because of Viet Nam, and the state didn’t like my glide path and waved me off continuously, and when they did there was a 1 year waiting period.  This went on for years…lucky I was practicing with friends under their licenses and I was thriving with my construction/development activities. The thing is I had this “feeling” gnawing at me about fairness. While I could never prove anything, I finally had enough with the state. What I had, that most of you don’t, was money, lots of it…and I went to the most powerful law firm at the state capital who had big connections in the legislature, and we structured a case (actually an argument), based on Restriction of Trade…that may sound off-the-wall, but I am off-the-wall, but I got a “go-ticket” in less than 30 days. The thing is to NEVER take “no” for an answer; ALWAYS look for the work-around.

Apr 29, 15 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

harass them and then harass them....

by the way, my NJ seal has my last name spelled wrong.  What's funny about that is the state owns the seal technically... I can't wait until some municipality makes a stink about it, my certificate has my last name spelled right.

to make it more interesting one of my first jobs with the seal on it inn NJ - the client is an investigator at Consumer affairs, construction industry, ha!

harass them and then harass them...

government employees don't care, they don't want to be there anyway, so nothing wrong with calling them daily and talking to everybody.

Apr 29, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

It took me some months to get my first license. I couldn't wait, I was so excited. 

The second one (which was NY) was open and shut EXCEPT they wouldn't accept some of my IDP experience. I had to get some more recent experience signed off on. Which was silly because I WAS ALREADY A LICENSED ARCHITECT!! So, not so open and shut. 

The third one took 6 months because of slow bureaucracy. Annoying as HECK because I was trying to set up my business.

The fourth one took a month. 

Moral of the story? Sit tight and you'll get there. & every state is different. 

Apr 30, 15 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Notified today:  Approved for licensure.  What a relief...

May 7, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

congrats!

May 7, 15 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: