Archinect
anchor

the grey facade, savannah, GA

awaiting_deletion

Did go inside and have a few Belgium Wits made in Georgia or South Carolina, but didn't want to disturb anyone with photos.

In a city where Edmund Bacon  states all the answers to the facade are already written in James Oglethorpe's city plan via Vitruvius (possibly), the Gray Facade stood out to me, close to the bus stop and the hotel wasn't far way either, enjoy!

nowhere near the Grey and closer to the Pirate house this facade and car were spotted in Savannah, GA

April 2015

Apr 24, 15 11:22 pm

Hope you made it to the Lucas Movie Theater and Market Square.

Apr 25, 15 3:26 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

speaking of 'beauty' how did the grey facade do it?

Apr 26, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 
-------

Thanks for posting these pictures! I've been wondering about this building. It was in much worse shape not too long ago.

Pictures from http://www.roadarch.com/bus/ga.html, which has the following info:

"The Savannah station was built in 1938 as an Atlantic Greyhound station. It was designed by George D. Brown who is responsible for about 60 stations in the South. The streamline moderne building was faced with blue and ivory Vitrolux and had a stainless steel canopy. It also had a neon sign at one time. The battered Greyhound logo was still visible on the pavement in front of the entrance door in 2005."

"The building served as an automobile sales room and garage for awhile. Then it was remodeled into the Cafe Metropole restaurant which featured outdoor dining in the loading dock area. That restaurant operated from 1997-2002. The building has been vacant since then. When the bottom row of photos were taken in 2007, the building had been stripped and boarded up. In 2014, the building was about to reopen as The Grey restaurant."

Apr 26, 15 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

no, thank you jw468...

I had a lot of luck in finding old articles on Savannah with plans and so forth, maybe I could chase more info down now that you noted the Architect.

technically I think this station is just outside of the Oglethorpe plan so perhaps Edmund Bacon's statement does not apply, but would want to know George D. Brown's approach.

Apr 26, 15 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: