Archinect
anchor

Carnegie Mellon or Syracuse B. Arch

ztaotao

I have to decide between these two schools. CMU is the better school overall but Syracuse has a better program. Please give me some advice. Thanks 

PS I have to pay less for Syracuse

Apr 22, 15 6:53 pm
Zetran

Hello,

I also had to choose a school for B.Arch this year, therefore have made some research. First of all I recommend you to visit each school if you have the chance to. I have visited both of them. Both have gorgeous campuses and both are in small cities (yes Pitt is larger than Syracuse but it will not make a huge difference). CMU's arch department is in its fine arts building, Syracuse arch has its own newly renovated Slocum Hall. I found Syracuse's facilities to be better than CMU's. Syracuse is consistently ranked top 5, where CMU doesn't even make it to top 10. Syracuse's program is currently led by Michael Speaks, who I find to be an advantage to the school because of his dynamic approach and connections with SCI-Arc (this is a personal thing but it was an important factor for my choice). When I visited CMU I thought it would be great to study engineering or computer science there but for architecture I didn't feel that attraction. Because CMU really gives you the impression that it is strongly engineering oriented. Anyway, i would go with Syracuse, wish you the best of luck

Apr 28, 15 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
Syracuse
Apr 28, 15 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
ztaotao

I ultimately chose CMU over Syracuse. When I visited I liked the feel of CMU more than Syracuse.  If I may as @Zetran what school are you going to commit to or are you going to Syracuse? I couldn't tell. 

Apr 28, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Zetran

I commited to Syracuse but I was rejected by Carnegie Mellon so it was not an option for me. But I think if I had it as an option I would go to Syracuse. Congratulations on your decision, they are both really valuable programs and CMU of course has its many advantages.

Apr 29, 15 5:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: