Archinect
anchor

Help - Choosing Summer Opportunities

anghln

Hey Archinect,

I'm an undergraduate junior in a 4-year architecture program at an Ivy League university. Next fall, I'm hoping to apply to grad schools for a dual degree in architecture and urban planning, with the hopes of going into the design/planning field as a career.

This upcoming summer, I have two options. The first is working for a medium-size planning and design firm in Philadelphia as a design intern. The second is doing independent urban planning research with a professor on campus (including in-field research in Brazil).

I've interned with a development firm, but never an architecture firm before, so on one hand the professional experience might round out my resume. On the other hand, the research I do this summer would contribute to a publication and segue into my senior thesis, and the professor I would be working with is incredibly well-known and influential in the field.

Which do you think would benefit my grad school applications more: a big research project or professional design experience?

Thanks!

Angeline

Apr 20, 15 10:59 am
Non Sequitur

Which one is paid work?

take that one.

Apr 20, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 
anghln

They are both paid.

Apr 20, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Which ever pays more...

Apr 20, 15 11:33 am  · 
 · 
toosaturated

The latter sounds like a more fulfilling opportunity. I would love to go to Brazil.

Apr 20, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

A big research project will benefit your grad applications more.

Reasoning:

you mention that the research you do this summer would contribute to a publication and segue into your senior thesis, and the professor you would be working with is incredibly well-known and influential in the field...

- This professor will be writing one of your letters of recommendation for grad school, and because they'll be monitoring your progress during your research project, they will get to know you very well and your letter of recommendation from them will be a very strong asset for your graduate applications.

- Your senior thesis will likely be strengthened in some way from this research project. This thesis project will probably be the most heavily evaluated project in your portfolio submission for grad school, meaning any supplementary research will most likely be beneficial for you from a holistic point-of-view.

- Another user, natematt on this forum said it best, "[Graduate] Schools don't really care if you have worked, schools care how "good" you are. If you work you will probably be better than you would be otherwise. Thus working=better chance, but not working=/=strike against you."

This research project will probably improve a graduate school's perception of "how 'good' you are" rather than working for 3 months in a firm (which really isn't much time at all - its only about enough time to learn what NOT to do and learn the prior work/school history of your co-workers...so you won't learn much in 3 months that will help prepare you for grad school).

So you currently go to UPenn and you'll be working with Dr. David Leatherbarrow...No?

Apr 20, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

BR.TN is correct.

That is all.

Apr 20, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

The research trip might also make you stand out from other applicants and help you get a better financial aid package in the long term. Hard to predict but pretty possible.

Apr 20, 15 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
anghln

Thanks for the helpful answers!

BR.TN, thanks for the well-thought-out response! But no, I don't attend UPenn.

Apr 20, 15 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: