Archinect
anchor

Need career advice - Architect to...?

neehvij91

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I have read many threads here as to what to do after architecture. But i still need more advice from you guys. So, what else can I do with my bachelors degree in architecture other than to become an architect.

I am a licensed architect from India, and am currently working as a junior architect. I also do freelance interior and graphic designing.  I would like to be more involved in the construction process and go towards engineering (structural especially). Right now, all I can come up with is getting masters in architectural engineering (with emphasis on structural) or get one in construction management. Another degree that interested me is engineering management.

Ideally I would like to do structural engineering, but not many universities offer that masters to non engineering undergrads, so I thought architectural engineering sounded similar. Are they similar? What are the career prospects like, for an architectural engineer, a structural engineer, or a construction manager (it is my plan B)? Or should I just scrap all of this, do M.Arch, get my license and put up my own firm?

Ultimately I would like to put up my own construction company/work up towards a management role in a company. I want to do more than design buildings, I want to create and construct innovative structure. (Hence the choice of architecture in the first place – also Santiago Calatrava’s bridges inspired me.)

So I am hoping some of would share your thoughts on my predicament. Anyone here who did the jump? 

Thanks in advance!

Apr 20, 15 2:30 am
geezertect

If you want to do your own designs, go in the direction of engineering.  If you want to build somebody else's designs, go in the direction of construction management.

Apr 20, 15 7:26 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

not sure you need another degree - get a job with a CM firm and move your way up if you want to build stuff.  if you want to design work for a design firm.  Only you can answer the main question of "what are my interests and goals."

of coarse working for a CM will help with arch. and vis versa. 

personally I'd work while times are good and go back to school with you have a better idea of what you want and when/if there is another economic downturn.

Apr 20, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Go to work for the State- as long as we are all tax donkeys, you'll keep getting paid for doing nearly nothing

Apr 21, 15 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: